Perfume Base Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
I think I put this in the right spot, but if not please move :)

Anyway, I have been trying to create a roll on spray perfume for awhile. I came across this one from Soap Queen http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/new-year-new-fragrance-tutorial/

I got the ingredients and attempted my go at it. I did it in grams (that might be where I went wrong 30g/27g/30g respectively) and after just adding the cyclo, alcohol, and DPG it was cloudy and you could see the oiliness in it. It eventually cleared but (and hopefully you can see in the picture attached) that there is a separated layer. Anyone have a suggestion on what is going on and if I messed something up. Thanks! ImageUploadedBySoap Making1414947911.802873.jpg

Are you trying to make a roll-on, or a spray? Or a base that will work for both?

I think using grams is fine, in fact it's better, but you tripled the recipe. I think I would start smaller until I know how it behaves and whether I like it.

I don't have a lot of experience with DPG, I know it's a fragrance fixative and solvent, but does it have any emulsifying properties? Because I am not clear on how the cyclo, which is oil based, and the alcohol, which is water based, are going to come together.

If after stirring and letting it sit and stirring some more it still refuses to come together, you could try adding some poly 20 to it and see if that helps.

edit: reading the comments, they say that the dpg is necessary for the mix, so I am guessing that's the magic. Did you use 91% alcohol?

Last edited:
Yes, I agree should have went smaller :) I used the 91% alcohol. I even tried doing just the DPG and cyclo and that is where I got the separation and still did so after adding the FO. I would like one that is capable of roll on and spray. I think I will just have to get some poly 20. Also would like to get away from the alcohol because it was very strong and I could smell it over the FO.

Yes that's the problem with using isopropyl. Vodka (or ethanol) is much better, but more expensive and you can run afoul of the ATF if you use vodka. Try looking for 70% ethyl alcohol at your pharmacy, that's pretty cheap and even tho it isn't as strong it is way better than isopropyl IMO. Perfumer's alcohol or denatured alcohol is another (but expensive) choice.

Latest posts

Back