Palm oil vs. palm kernel oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neidenn

Reaction score
Hi. I had a question regarding a batch of soap I made yesterday. I basically used palm oil instead of palm kernel oil because I realized I had purchased the wrong oil when I was first ordering supplies. I don't have the exact amounts used with me at the moment but the recipe called for olive oil, palm kernel oil, distilled water and lye. I realized it as I was preparing the stuff and ended up using it. My soap looks good today but I haven't tested it's ph. Do you guys think it might make a big difference in the texture of my soap? I would appreciate any information you can provide me with. Thanks so much. :D

when you get time you might want to run your recipe through soapcalc if you haven't already, with the palm oil that you used. i never use palm or palm kernal so i don't know if the sap values are the same, but it would suck if your soap was lye heavy.

other than that, i think they are about the same for hardness and texture.

Thanks, I'll do that tonight. I would hate to think it might be lye heavy. I'm pretty new to this and I've always used recipes from a book for my soap. I have never calculated quantities. All the soaps I've made have had good ph levels from the recipes. I'll try to figure out how the soap calc works. Thanks so much.

Ouch! There is a difference ....... hope it is ok. How much did you discount your lye?

Val

I didn't discount the lye at all. I just substituted one oil for the other. I'll check the ph tonight. I hope it's not too much. It looked ok this morning when I checked the mold. Thanks for letting me know though. I definitely will try never to do that again. Is it because of the consistency of the palm vs. the palm kernel oil?

Uh Oh! Palm and Palm Kernel are two very different animals with two very different sap numbers. They should never be substituted for one another 1:1 in soap.

Palm Oil is much like tallow or lard, lending hardness but little in terms of bubbly lather, while Palm Kernel Oil is much like coconut oil in terms lending a goodly amount of cleansing, hardness, and major bubbly lather.

The sap # for Palm Oil is .142
The sap # for Palm Kernel Oil is .176

That's a bit of a difference.

Is there any chance you can post your whole recipe and superfat level?

IrishLass :)

I took the recipe from Anne L. Watson's book "Smart Soapmaking" and I don't remember how much I used of each oil. I do believe that I used 116 gms of lye though and 255 gms of distilled water. The olive oil was somewhere in the 500's and then the palm kernal oil it called for I don't really remember. I'm so bummed. I'm hoping it's not lye heavy. I'll have to see later. Thanks for you replies. I really appreciate it.

You can always reinvent it , shred it , or make laundry soap etc , no batch ever goes to waste and you learn something new every time.:D

Kitn

Latest posts

Back