Palm Kernal and Lush

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Went to visit Lush (Which i was far more impressed with before I started making soap) and Crabtree and Evelyn (had to get some rose eau de toilette) yesterday, and talked to teh lady behind the lush counter

She was extremely eager to tell us how they were removing palm kernal oil from their products as 'ecologically irresponsible' for cutting down huge swaths of forest to plant palms on.

I have to wonder if she stopped eating popcorn too as that is usually made with it, but I digress.

So honestly...which oils do we use that are potentially ecologically irresponsible? How irresponsible? and does that get countermanded by providing individuals with a living?

Just a thought..i'm going to continue using it for now btw.

Cheers
Deb

I think it is just a marketing ploy , you can buy sustainable palm oil , which is what I use and will probably continue to use . When you think about it , most things we do in everyday life "hurt" the environment in some way or other . I think we just have to be as responsible as we can be and get on with our lives .kwim

Kitn

I can't find Sustainably Farmed Palm oil or melt and pour in New Zealand so I've never used either .. I ask soap sellers if they use SF Palm and if not then I won't buy .. And I sponsor rescued Orangutan's ..

The issue is very real and it effects both the animals, envrionment and the local people .. But as Kitn said you can get SF Palm (just not here) ..

I also pop my own popcorn - even grow it some years! ;)

I like to see large companies take a stand. It may not be the same stand I take, or you take, but good for them for having a higher belief system.

There is a huge diffrence in the owners of Lush popping 6-8 bags of corn a year w/ maybe a teaspoon of palm oil & producing bazzillions of bars of palm soap at 2-4oz ea. Not even in the same ball park.

i understand where you're all coming from, but to me, it's nothing more than a marketing ploy at a point in time where it is cool and helps to sell more when you're "green."

sorry, but you can't tell me Lush just now figured out what using palm oil was doing to the environment.

to me, there is a difference between taking a stand, and taking a stand because it's going to make me look good and sell more.

I am sorry so many of you are jaded, maybe someday you will feel a higher calling & understand. How sad it must be to see the world as half empty & have a need to shoot down others just to make yourselves feel better about 'not' stepping up to the bar yourself. Unless you are on Lush's marketing staff, you do not know it is a marketing ploy. If it is a marketing ploy, who cares, they have just raised the bar. If you can't or won't step up to that bar, that is your business, but there is no need to shoot them down or anyone else who is making an effort.

Please be respectful. We do not need another thread bashing LUSH or any other major contenders. If you can't say somthing nice, why say anything at all?

PER the Message Board FAQs, Rules, Help etc
We pride ourselves on being the friendliest soap making forum on the net. Please abide by the following rules to keep it that way.

1.For the purposes of this forum, ALL products commonly known as soap are handcrafted/handmade, regardless of whether it began as oils and lye or a base that may or may not contain detergents. BOTH products qualify as handcrafted/handmade soap in this forum.

2.Disrespect and criticism of another member, their practices or choices, will not be tolerated.

3.Disrespect of any member of the soaping community, whether they hold memberships on this forum or not, will not be tolerated.

4.Disrespect of suppliers will not be tolerated. While everyone have the right to post experiences with suppliers, both favorable & not, it shall be done in a professional manner free from insult.

Any negative, nasty, offensive or questionable comments regarding the above points will not be tolerated and will result in that thread/comment being deleted by the Moderating Team without further reference to the member.

Continued posting of negative, nasty or offensive comments will result in that member being banned from the board.
Thank you!- The mod team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back