Organic Palm Oil - MELTING POINT

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg_lem

Reaction score
I just got several new oils, one of these being organic palm oil. I do my soaps naturally/organically, so I love the organic, unrefined oils.

At issue: This palm oil came in a gallon-sized container with a narrow pour spout at the top-- and the oil, of course, is solid.

As I am still a novice to soap making, what is the advice here? I had expected this to come in a container with a wide opening at the top. I do not know it's exact melting point (like coconut oil is 76F). I need to remove this oil and put it in a different container altogether. But what is its melting point? Or should I just carefully cut open this entire container and "scoop" it all out? I would rather melt it and pour it into something. But I don't know the best way to heat it up (in front of a fireplace, in some sort of "double boiler" contraption. . . . .), nor the temp it will need to get to.

Help!

Thanks in advance!

- Cathy

Palm Oil melts at 95 degrees F.
Why don't you try putting the gallon jug in a hot water bath first? Or double boiler (if hot water bath doesn't work)...just be careful not to let the jug touch the sides or bottom of the pot. Then pour it into a seal-able pail, tupperware, or even pre-weigh it and store it in ziploc bags?

Thanks, Shawnee! That's kind of what I was figuring I'd need to do-- but I really didn't know what temp to be heating it to! 95F-- that's just a bit higher than 76F. ;-) I'll try the hot water bath first.

- Cathy

Latest posts

Back