Organic Labeling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christellita

Reaction score
Hey all! I am starting to sell my soaps in stores, and they have asked me to make a sign to advertise my soaps. I haven't figured out the exact percentage, but I use as much organic ingredients as possible. Does anyone know what percent of the ingredients have to be organic to advertise it as "organic soap" ??

there are no laws about that for cosmetics or soaps.

but I myself wouldn't say it was organic because lye isn't and without the lye you wouldn't have soap. that's MY feeling, though.

having a non-organic additive is one thing, but if the item itself (soap) isn't then how can it be labeled as such?

After much researching, I found there's lots of different options and percentages, but water and sodium hydroxide aren't included in the percentage. So if everything else you have in it is organic, you can write "Organic Soap." If it's more than 70% but less than 95%, you can write "Made with organic ingredients." Hmmm...

those rules are for food, I believe. no?

water doesn't count, I know. but where have you read that the lye doesnt?

Hmm, I don't remember. I need to go back and start keeping track of all the info. Maybe you're right about the lye.....!

If it's more than 70% but less than 95%, you can write "Made with organic ingredients." Hmmm...
-I have read that too, but do not remember where.

Latest posts

Back