OMG! Did it get too hot?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im worried about covering with a towel, or wrap, wont that leave marks on the top of the bar. and i find everything you say about these molds to be true. what do you recommend?

I would probably invert some bigger cardboard/ plastic tray over the mold and then cover with blankets. after my first batch of ashy CP soap in these molds, have only been using them for HP and log molds for CP. but if I were to use these again for CP I would do as I just said.
ETA: just saw Seawolfe had suggested similarly.

Last edited:
Alice, I feel your pain! Ironically, about a week ago, I decided to try CPOP for the first time, and had the same look and problem as yours did. I cut them, and left them out, and Ina couple of days, they did dry out. I need to plane my tops, but it's better than I at first thought. When in doubt, leave them out. BTW, your swirl were lovely indeed! Congrats on the little one on the way!

Alice, I feel your pain! Ironically, about a week ago, I decided to try CPOP for the first time, and had the same look and problem as yours did. I cut them, and left them out, and Ina couple of days, they did dry out. I need to plane my tops, but it's better than I at first thought. When in doubt, leave them out. BTW, your swirl were lovely indeed! Congrats on the little one on the way!
THANK YOU!!!! ;-)
I have been doing salt bars until now, I guess the olive oil soaps get hotter than the 100% coconut oil. I am going to try one more time with the OO and then I am going to be HP the rest of my OO soaps I think.
May we see pics!
Thank you for saying my swirls looked nice, I worked very hard on them!

Dear Alice, it wasn't the OO. Typically I use relatively large amounts of OO..I think 100% CO get way hotter, but I could be wrong. Too new to say for sure. This time, it was a combination of using a heater of a FO, and CPOPing for the first time. I still have never posted pics of any of my soaps. Well, I did post one that I was worried about, but I haven't gotten the nerve to post others. Happy to hear all resolved well for your soapy creation!

Back