Olive and Palm Kernel soap- White layer help !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not use coconut oil more than 30%. Just an advice
If you do, remember to superfat accordingly. There's heaps of info in the forums if you do a search :)

I use coconut a lot coz it's cheap for me, plus my skin seems to be made of alligator hide or something. A lot of coconut doesn't bother it at all lol

Oh btw, congrats on your recent success! Hehehe

Thank you for sharing the link... Still finding a good tested recipe for only 3 oils (Olive, Palm and Coconut)
:)

If you do, remember to superfat accordingly. There's heaps of info in the forums if you do a search :)

I use coconut a lot coz it's cheap for me, plus my skin seems to be made of alligator hide or something. A lot of coconut doesn't bother it at all lol

Oh btw, congrats on your recent success! Hehehe
The coconut oil which is available in my country cheaply is the oil from the outer part of the coconut.
Unfortunately, I tried 2 times to make 100% coconut oil soap , as soon as I pour the LYE solution into the coconut oil it starts to freeze and it gets really heavy. (but the soap turns out to be ok and good, but thats what I am surprised as it doesnt give any time to mix or get a proper trace as it just freezes the whole thing) :)

Yeah, in my few high coconut soaps trace does come upon you really quick. In HP it even set before I could mold hehe..

There are ways to counter that, fiddling with lye and/or water, etc... Maybe do another search aroubd the forums hehe :)

Now planning to make a soap with Palm Oil (not kernel), Olive oil and Coconut oil (from outer layer of coconut)... any advise on the recipe ;) ?

For your palm, coconut and olive recipe - a starting point is to try a third of each oil (obviously run it through the calculator to check the amount of hydroxide required), and then try varying the oils to suit what YOU like in your soap (I don't use palm, so mine would be mostly olive with a little coconut ... that would require a long cure, but gives a very mild, creamy kind of soap ... the palm shortens the time it takes to cure, extends the shower-life of the soap and can feel waxy in high amounts, and the coconut gives a lot of bubbles but dissolves easily and can be a little harsh for some people).

Thank you for sharing the link... Still finding a good tested recipe for only 3 oils (Olive, Palm and Coconut)
:)

The coconut oil which is available in my country cheaply is the oil from the outer part of the coconut.
Unfortunately, I tried 2 times to make 100% coconut oil soap , as soon as I pour the LYE solution into the coconut oil it starts to freeze and it gets really heavy. (but the soap turns out to be ok and good, but thats what I am surprised as it doesnt give any time to mix or get a proper trace as it just freezes the whole thing) :)

Try using the lye solution when is has gone cold (instead of pouring it in while it's warm), and use more water for your lye solution (a lye concentration of no stronger than 30%, or a lye ration of 2.4:1 water:hydroxide) to give yourself more time to work with a pure coconut soap batter. Pure coconut soap saponifies very easily (as you have noticed) and will tolerate extra water, which is useful to know if you want to slow down the making of the soap a little ... you can go as low as a 25% lye concentration (which is 3 parts water to 1 part hydroxide) and the soap will still set. Adding superfat also slows down the speed of saponification - I go as high as 20% with my salt bars, and I've seen a successful 24% soap made (that was very slow), but I wouldn't necessarily want to suggest using superfat to control saponification speed (that is not it's purpose).

View attachment 33273 This is the new batch :)
Looks and feels very smooth and alot better than the previous ones... And its already hard ... Thank you @SaltedFig for your advises, soap looks awesome :D

View attachment 33274 Comparison between the 3 soaps :D

Your soap is looking terrific! :thumbs:
(Glad I could help)

Back