Not very bougie, but...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just ran across a long-lost, unopened can of Great Value original shortening in my pantry. I used it way back when I first stated soaping, and I recall it making great, hard, white soap in combo with more “legit” oils (coconut, palm, olive, castor). Is that like the “Neanderthal man” of soaping? Do any of you use it? It’s tallow and palm and still shows up in the soapcalc list. I would probably substitute it for the lard in my typical formula.

I really like the tallow based gv shortening and would still be using it but the local wally doesn't carry it anymore

I use it in a recipe that I use for teaching soapmaking ("grocery store" soap), it does make a nice soap that has a decent shelf life of 12-14 months. [Keep in mind I am only promoting this as a personal use soap, not as a seller. I expect much longer shelf life from the soaps I sell.] I've used both the GV Vegetable Shortening and the Tallow based Shortening with nice results.

I almost picked some up at the grocery yesterday. My Walmart actually had it in stock on the shelves. I believe they have changed the picture on the front of the package but I checked and the ingredients were still tallow/palm. I haven't used it since I first started several years ago and it was one of my son's favorite soaps. I need to pick some up and give it a try again!

I almost picked some up at the grocery yesterday. My Walmart actually had it in stock on the shelves. I believe they have changed the picture on the front of the package but I checked and the ingredients were still tallow/palm. I haven't used it since I first started several years ago and it was one of my son's favorite soaps. I need to pick some up and give it a try again!
If my can is still good, I’ll join you, I just got a shipment of EOs (cedarwood, spearmint, bergamot, tangerine, and rosemary). Where to begin?

Last edited:
I haven't used this recipe in a long time, but I remember it being a hit with my family. Here is the recipe I used with the GV shortening:

35% Olive Oil
33% GV Shortening (you can choose this oil in soapcalc)
22% Coconut Oil
5% Shea Butter
5% Castor

5% superfat

I may give this recipe a try again! Just wanted to share in case anyone else would be interested in a recipe.

Here are the qualities from soapcalc:
Hardness: 43
Cleansing: 16
Conditioning: 53
Bubbly: 21
Creamy: 32
Iodine: 55
INS: 154

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back