Not Exactly What I Expected

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomS

Reaction score
I made an experimental 8 oz. batch using rosemary (grown in our own garden) infused olive oil, coconut oil, plus 1/4 tsp powdered dried rosemary. No other coloring or fragrance was added. Immediately upon hitting the batter with the stick blender, it turned a vibrant pumpkin orange color. Soon after molding, it turn a very unattractive brown, then and even more putrid gray-brown, then a vomit like gray-green, and eventually settled out into the color you see in the photo. When I cut it, I was very surprised to see the inside was a natural color. The photo is of an end piece and an inside piece. It has a subtle yet pleasant rosemary fragrance. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Can't say as I have had anything like that happen, but what a beautiful mishap!

Whatever you did...do it again! That's gaw-geous!!!!

Lovely! I may have to try that. A lot of the time I've had the color on the outside eventually migrate through the rest of the batch as it ages. Here's hoping, that a beautiful color!

well that's a new one on me!

is the color of the cut sides shifting with exposure to light?

The soap has been cut now for about 9 hours. I would say that the cut side has a bit more of a green cast to it. The distinctive outside color ring seems to be the same.

Too cool....wonder what other herbs would do. Is rosemary the only one you've tried this with? I have a good sized herb garden. I might play around with it now just to see what happens. In fact, you have me intrigued. I think I'll try rosemary and see if I get the same thing.

Never tried it but I am so going to after seeing this picture of yours! It's absolutely beautiful!

Your soap looks good, i made "lovespell" last night and always color it purple, but added some hemp oil, it is now pukey tan/brown!!, not good for lovespell, oh well.

This was my first time using an infused oil. I suspect that the outside color has more to do with the addition of the powered rosemary than the oil. I may have to try this batch again and see if I can duplicate the results.

Latest posts

Back