No more squeaky soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp chick

Reaction score
We always had very hard water. After a shower, I would have the "squeaky" skin that others have mentioned. I could get a decent lather with my CP soap, but it needed lots of rubbing and re-wetting. All in all, I was quite content with the performance of my soap. It hasn't been very effective as laundry soap, as it would mostly turn the water cloudy, and leave residue (the scraps were usually from 7% superfat batches). I had gone back to using commercial soap for my laundry.

Well...10 days ago we had a softener/iron remover installed. Wow!!!! Squeaky skin is gone and slimy skin is in. *sigh* Not particularly liking that, but now I just touch my bar of soap and lather comes springing off of my hands!! :shock: I haven't noticed suds coming out of my washing machine yet, but if the rest is any indication, I'll be able to go back to using my soap for laundry. Will have to make a laundry soap batch with no superfat.

Downside is that I'll have to make soap less often... I already have a surplus. However, since I just got a new batch of soaping supplies in I may just have to break down and try some. :wink:

I miss my water softener. It broke before I got into soaping and we never replaced it. Although my soaps are formulated to be bubbly enough without drying me out in my hard water, I would love to test them in soft water.

IrishLass :)

I have mixed feelings about the soft water. I've come close to dropping wet dishes many times, but on the plus side, the water no longer turns black in reaction to tea or coffee, so less stains on the dishes. We will eventually be able to buy white/light clothes again, once the mineral buildup is flushed out of the plumbing. Looking forward to that. :D

Latest posts

Back