No coconut oil recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfa_Lazcares

Reaction score
So since the family is now on the know about my soapmaking hobby, an aunt ask about the soap and said she was interested in trying it, we chatted a bit about soap and it turns out she is alergic to coconut and my recipe (and all that i have done in the past) contain coconut. That made me wonder how could i come up with a recipe without it. I told her i could try and come up with something. So... help? I have no idea what can I use “instead” of coconut or what can i up. Right now I am doing 30% lard, 30% coconut, 30% olive, 5% castor and 5% almond. I was thinking maybe just up the olive and lard to make up for the 30 coconut. Or make 50 lard 40 olive. Or palm. She said she doesnt have an issue with palm. Would 30 lard with 30 palm and 30 olive would be too much? What do you guys think?

If you have access to PKO that too is an alternative and works well. Or if you're not opposed to lard something like:
40% Lard, Shea 15%, Olive 40, Castor 5. Will be conditioning and creamy.

Members have shared other recipes on here too.

Babassu and Palm Kernel (different than palm - same plant, different part of the fruit) are recommended as good coconut oil substitutes. However, they are also in the palm family, just like coconut, so your aunt may be sensitive/allergic to them as well. It might be a good idea for her to talk to her doctor about it.

My choice would be to go entirely palm-family-free, just to be safe.

Something like:
Lard 40-50%
Castor 5%
Remainder divided among rice bran, olive and sunflower.

Since there are no harsh, cleansing oils in there, maybe drop the superfat to 3% or 2%. Also, some sugar or honey to boost bubbles a bit.

Thanks guys!

I asked her and she says she doesnt have problems with other palm oils, just the coconut. However the problem with babassu is that there is nowhere to be found and same with palm kernel. The only palm oils i’ve been able to find are white and red palm.

I think i’m gonna give @dixiedragon and @Saponificarian (probably with lard since shea is quite expensive...) suggestions a try and see how i like it.

Thanks again!

Yeah, i tried Soapers choice but it didnt give me and option to send here. Was just trying to see if the shipping wouldnt be too expensive. I’ll look for the white chocolate morsels. Thanks again!

I would certainly try the white baking chips and if you have access to Beef Tallow, I would try splitting it with the lard. Tallow has a bit more cleansing and actually lathers better than lard. Alfa, what part of Mexico are you located, I see Smart and Final has locations in Ensenada, Tijuana, Mexicali, and San Luis Rio Col. Son, they carry Beef Tallow Shortening. They don't carry PKO, so sorry no help there

Would you put white baking chips into the soap calc as PKO or cocoa butter? asking for a friend... :D

Now I'm curious to see how this soap would turn out. I see a personal test batch in my future. I've used Lindt 90% at about .25oz PPO for coloring before, but never thought about looking at the ingredients in other things to make substitions. I remember there was someone who tried using margarine once, but I think we were skeptical because of the high water content in the margarine. I happen to have a bag of white chips in my freezer... and a lovely hot cocoa and smores FO mixed up that has been waiting for an inspiration...

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a personal test batch in my future... I happen to have a bag of white chips in my freezer... and a lovely hot cocoa and smores FO mixed up that has been waiting for an inspiration...

Maybe with some of the chips sprinkled on top? Or used as confetti? My brain gears are turning.

Would you put white baking chips into the soap calc as PKO or cocoa butter? asking for a friend... :D

Now I'm curious to see how this soap would turn out. I see a personal test batch in my future. I've used Lindt 90% at about .25oz PPO for coloring before, but never thought about looking at the ingredients in other things to make substitions. I remember there was someone who tried using margarine once, but I think we were skeptical because of the high water content in the margarine. I happen to have a bag of white chips in my freezer... and a lovely hot cocoa and smores FO mixed up that has been waiting for an inspiration...

I'd go with the ingredients - some of them are PKO (the white baking chips) and some are cocoa butter (the white chocolate).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @dixiedragon those white backing chips i know i can get!

@cmzaha i absolutelly forgot about tallow. The thing is i havent seen it in stores the same way as the lard. Maybe i havent looked hard enough. I am in Mexico City, so it is kinda amazing to me that we dont have such easy access to some supplies. I’ll have a look at that store anyway, they might ship me some. If not I can always render my own.

Back to the chips... what would you say? 10%? @amd if you end up trying this before me, you need to tell me how it turns out! I have to first hunt those chips and restock some other oils before i can try. But it is looking quite interesting.

Maybe with some of the chips sprinkled on top? Or used as confetti? My brain gears are turning.
Oooohhh... I have some white unscented confetti scraps left from a project I did last year. I think I'll leave whole chips off the soap though, and just use melted as an oil substitute. I will probably have to remind myself not to lick the soap spoon while I'm making it...

Back