Nice Pink Biodiesel Glycerin (BDG) Soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knicelyr

Reaction score
This forum has been a great place to learn and get many new ideas. Most of my soaps are the natural color of the BDG with added transparency.

However some people like to be a bit more colorful.

So using some of what I have learned in this awesome forum I was able to add some color using titanium dioxide and red soap coloring.

Thanks guys!

pinkbar640.jpg

Thanks jarvan!

I love our BDG soaps all natural don't get me wrong but sometimes it's fun to play with some color.

Here is an example of the POP micas that have been popular lately.

popgreen.jpg

This is the color I started with. I like it and it's awesome soap, just a comparison.

palmkernbdg.jpg

So, Rick...

First of all Happy Thanksgiving.
Second, where does one find biodiesel glycerin? I live in a little village with gas station, grocery store, fast food and regular restaurants. We have very little here. Is this something that comes from an industry?

Third, how does one soap with the BDG? What do you have to do to it?

Jarvan,
Most likely there is someone making biodiesel in your area. I would get on the biodiesel forum and post in the soaping section.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/ ... /610109192

If you do get some you will need to be sure to fully remove the methanol from the glycerin if the supplier has not.

If you like I can send you a log of saponified BDG. You can use it as a base for your recipe or an additive. Heck you can just cut the saponified BDG log up and use it as soap without doing anything with it.

My log of saponified glycerin might be a good place to start as you will not have to worry about methanol or saponification of the BDG.

If you are interested, PM me and I will be sure to get some to you.

Nice work Rick!
I've never used BDG soap, Id love to give it a go, I'll have to find someone over here that does it.
I love the size and shape of your bars. What do you use for a mould? A log mould and then you bevel the edges?
They just look like such a nice size and so easy to hold.

Thanks Chrissy,

I have several molds that I use. But in the end I have a log that I cut into 4oz bars and bevel the edges.

One of my molds I use is just a shipping box. It works perfect for 48 bars. It makes 1 slab, cuts into 4 logs of 12 4oz bars.

PM me if you would like me to send you a bar.

heat the glycerin to 270F and keep it at that temp for 10-15 minutes to make sure that all methanol has evaporated.

Last edited:
heat the glycerin to 270F and keep it at that temp for 10-15 minutes to make sure that all methanol has evaporated.

Which is potentially VERY dangerous and probably should not be attempted by hobbyists or inside your home!

Just putting that out there for any newbies that stumble across this thread.

Back