Next day BBQ sauce

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nivyn

Reaction score
My grandmother started teaching me from a very young age to cook and it is a passion that I have kept all my life. I grew up on a farm in south Georgia, we canned or put up most of our vegetables for the year every summer, at the time I didn’t really like it but now that I am older it is some of my fondest memories. This is a slight variation on the BBQ sauce that my mother and grandmother made, every year on the farm. The only changes is we made our own ketchup, and I have added Sambal Oelek for its flavor and heat, my mother didn’t care for spicy foods at all, black pepper was her limit for heat. This is a simple, but tasty sauce that I though I would share with everyone.
Next day BBQ Sauce
2 cups of ketchup
2 cups of Apple cider vinegar with mother
1 cup of light brown sugar
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of yellow mustard
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
6 tablespoons of Sambal Oelek (add more to make it hotter)
2 tablespoons of Hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of liquid smoke (your choice of type, I like hickory)

Combine all the ingredients in a pot (i recommend a heavy pot with a enamel or ceramic coating to keep down burning and sticking) Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer string frequently, simmer the sauce for at least 20 mins it will darken in color and get thicker you can simmer longer for a thicker sauce, just remember it will be thicker when it cools down.
After it is done cooking i like to put it in a glass jar and leave it in the fridge for at least a day for all the flavors to come together, but it is yummy the same day as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing this. I also grew up in a family that gardened and then canned or froze the produce every summer and fall for the winter. We also made our own ketchup but I have since lost that recipe. Do you still have a ketchup recipe that you could share?

I will have to dig out my mothers cook book, I am fairly sure it is in there, if I can find it I would be happy to share it.

Back