Newby Soap Recipe Advice Please <3

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspiringdakini

Reaction score
I am new at soaping. I just used the lye calculator and used the oils that I have. I just would like some expert advice on my recipe.

Castor Oil 20.00g 5.00%
Coconut Oil (76 Degrees) 40.00g 10.00%
Olive Oil 80.00g 20.00%
Palm Oil 40.00g 10.00%
Rapeseed Oil 40.00g 10.00%
Shortening (Vegetable) 80.00g 20.00%
Sunflower Seed Oil 100.00g 25.00%
6% (Superfat)
Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) Amount 52.508g
Grams of liquid recommended 132.00g (coconut milk)
Yields 584.51g

Does this recipe sound good to you? I would like a nice hard soap bar that cures in 4-6 weeks with a good lather and is also moisturizing. I like dove brand soap so I am looking to make something similar to that. If you have any suggestions, comments, advice or even another recipe all together, Please let me know. Thank you! <3 :Kitten Love:

Last edited:
First off this is a recipe that is going to make you wonder why on earth you ever loved Dove. So in other words this is going to be a hard bar of soap with lots of wonderful conditioning. You are going to have a nice creamy lather with some bubbles.

It looks to me like you are doing a 6.5% SF and you water is a little high but only by 2 gr.

I say go for it. This will be ready in about 4 weeks and I think you are so going to fall in love with it. Please share your results and what you think of it....

I agree it looks like a great recipe. The only thing I would comment on is the coconut milk. I love soap with coconut milk in it (and any other kind of milk), but it's a little tricky. There are several good posts here on how to use the coconut milk and there's also some good info on about.com. I don't want to spend a lot of time telling you something you already know :) but I would be glad to help you with the milk thing if you have any questions about it.

Looking forward to hearing how your soap turned out - and don't forget that we love pictures. :)

Thank you!!! Should I take 2 grams off of the coconut milk, then freeze the coconut milk into cubes, add the lye to that? Then once melted and same temp as other ingredients, add coconut milk/lye mixture to the oils? So happy for your kind words and advice!!! Thank you!!!!!:smile:

Last edited:
Maybe divide your liquid into 2 halves. 1 half water that you would mix your lye with the other half coconut milk. Add the coconut milk to your oils and SB in before adding your lye. That would make it a little less complicated for a first time out....

As Lindy suggests, the easiest thing to do is add half the liquid in the form of milk to the oils, and put the lye in the other half (water).

You can freeze the coconut milk and add the lye to it. I do it all the time. And yes, you'd just add it to the oils. I usually soap coconut milk (and other milks) at about 90 degrees, while I will do water or tea at 100 degrees.

I learned a trick re: milks from Anne Watson's book Milk Soapmaking, which I highly recommend. She freezes the milk, puts it in a stainless steel pot, and then puts the pot in a pan full of cold water. This works great to keep temps down. The stainless steel pot seems to make it easier to control the temperature of the lye and milk than putting it in a plastic container does. Add the lye a bit at a time, stir well, and then add more. It's a little more work than water, but coconut milk makes nice bubbles and seems to contribute to a whiter bar.

OH i forgot, it is SUNFLOWER OIL that I have, not SUNFLOWER SEED OIL. Is this going to make a difference? :/ Again, thank you so much for your advice. Perfect! Will let you know how it turns out!!! :wave:

Thank you!!! Should I take 2 grams off of the coconut milk, then freeze the coconut milk into cubes, add the lye to that? Then once melted and same temp as other ingredients, add coconut milk/lye mixture to the oils? So happy for your kind words and advice!!! Thank you!!!!!:smile:

I had a "duh" moment when I read this! Ice cube trays! I was just getting ready to freeze more goats milk, and I have extra trays!

Dana what a great idea! It never occurred to me to use the stainless steel but you are absolutely right, it would definitely multiply the cold temperature.... Thank you!

I love ice cube trays... LOL

I just reduced the beer that I use for my soaps and shampoo's then froze that into ice cubes. Sticky devils but it works...

Dana what a great idea! It never occurred to me to use the stainless steel but you are absolutely right, it would definitely multiply the cold temperature.... Thank you!

Thanks, but I give credit to Anne Watson for that one. I have never even had a milk turn a darker color than the lightest yellow since I started doing it. It requires a little fussing with the water baths, but it's pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back