Newbie question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseb

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I made my first batch of soap on Thursday. It set up well, I cut, unmolded it and no problems. Now I see a thin lighter layer on the top. The rest of the soap is nice and creamy. I used an veggie oil mixture, with tea tree and vitamin e oils. What is this layer and can I just slice it off?

Thanks!

Is this layer solid? You might have gotten a partial gel, but it is hard to tell without a picture. Have you done a zap test on the outer layer?

If its a whitish color its ash. Do a search here and you'll get all kinds of good tips on how to try to avoid ash. If it's ash you don't need to slice it off (why waste the soap). Just steam it off or leave it since its just a cosmetic issue. Congrats on the first batch!

Thank you, everyone! I did a little more research and I do think it's ash. I was just a little freaked when I posted the question. So excited do I really have to wait 4 weeks. ;)

I'm glad your first batch went so well, OP. there are controversial opinions on curing times. But, four weeks is a good round number. Yes, you have to wait, but you can always slice a bar into sample sizes, and try them out, at one week, two weeks, etc, so you can see for yourself what feels right.

Latest posts

Back