New supplies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyW

Reaction score
Finally! I haven't soaped since August. Now I have 2k in inventory to play with and I don't know where to start LOL

"tank" cutter in lower right! I need a better way to organize my FOs and EOs but it'll come later, I have 4 shipments waiting for me in Oregon when we go down so I'll wait. The top basket on the left has TBK POP colourants that I got (along with a lot of the rest of it) from another seller liquidating!
394019_10150669034752664_529342663_11336014_998840907_n.jpg

PO and CO
430369_10150669036092664_529342663_11336018_725556564_n.jpg

Still waiting on a couple shipments here as well, that'll add 40lbs of tallow and a few other things!

Wow, you're going to have SO much fun! I'm away from home for a couple of days and you made me positively ITCH to get back and soap. Glad to see you'll be back at it. Nice setup there!!

I hear you BakingNana ;) I've stayed away from SMF for the most part because I was dying to make soap and had no way to do it... I'm soooo eager to get back at it!

I kind of overdid it on the palm oil, as I usually use tallow instead, but it'll get used. I got such a good deal from the soap seller that I couldn't pass it up. I would have bought a lot more (of a LOT of stuff) but I only got so much back in EITC for start up LOL

I still need to get a planar/beveler, and containers to make the bigger batches of soap in but I'm good to start!

Oh, and find freezer paper... it's like.... nowhere up here :?

Wow Amy looks like you're going to endless fun when you start soaping again!

I hope you get started again soon and have loads of fun!

I am SO glad for EITC (US tax credit), I would have had to wait until we were legal here in Canada, gotten a checking account and credit card, and then got my supplies.

The real reason soapers go into business isn't to sell, it's so they can make more soap!

It didn't take me long to get back at it... I'll post better photos once it's cut and I get the photos off my good camera (this is an iphone pic).

Lemongrass scent (Litsea Cubeba EO... my daughter begged for new soap when she got a whiff!) Goat's Milk soap. No colourants, kept it natural so my sensitive-skin-boys can use it.

I covered it with plastic wrap after I took the pictures and last I checked it's going into gel. Now to really, truly keep my hands off until tomorrow and then (squee!) I get to use my "tank" to cut.

....and I really need to find freezer paper.

404173_293350897392794_179232068804678_808233_1193752994_n.jpg

Amy, we use baking here in Oz, freezer paper is not available in the supermarkets and be quite dear to buy off the net, I've been using baking paper since I started and it works out quite cheap, so if you can get that where you are it might get you out of trouble.

I made a lemongrass/litsea GM, no colour on Friday and the smell is wonderful when I walk in the laundry. I don't gel mine and it was ready to cut the next day which was surprising, I did take it out of the frig after 8 hrs and let it harden for most of the day. Happy here.

A great looking log of soap!

I mostly use silicon loaf moulds, so no need to line. I have one old wooden mould that I line with a silicon biscuit sheet, that I've cut to fit and the ends have pieces of laminated plastic put in them. It's so easy ... as it means no mould lining prep. Instead that time is spent preparing my soaping gear!

It didn't get a complete gel, but got to the very outer edges (I'll insulate next time, first time using this mold) but it got nice and hard so I couldn't resist cutting it last night. I'm in love with the tank now, 15 bars of soap with no freaky angled edges (pictures later, kids woke me up too early and I'm barely able to type, never mind using the camera).

I need to look at them closer in the day light, I might not have gotten the milk powder mixed in. It's a little more speckled than it should be, but I am so not awake to judge it correctly.

Dragonkaz, I've got silicone molds that I still line, because my impatience is something I haven't been able to fix - lining lets me unmold a whole lot quicker :oops: I have seen mention of getting cutting mats and cutting them to fit the mold as a liner, I might just have to try that.

Relle9, We seem to have wax paper and parchment paper. Both too thin to protect the wood (I used plastic wrap to cover the wood, and then wax paper to keep the wrinkles away)... I told my hubby once our immigration is complete and we go to the states for my stuff in storage, I'm going to Costco and buying 10 boxes of their freezer paper LOL

:shock: That's a lot of oils to use up...I see plenty of soapmaking in your near future. :)

Dragonkaz said:
A great looking log of soap!

I mostly use silicon loaf moulds, so no need to line. I have one old wooden mould that I line with a silicon biscuit sheet, that I've cut to fit and the ends have pieces of laminated plastic put in them. It's so easy ... as it means no mould lining prep. Instead that time is spent preparing my soaping gear!

I've been buying Freezer Paper online, and really hate lining my moulds.
Karen, would you be kind enough to take some pics of your wooden mould lined with the baking sheet and laminate? Sounds interesting, and I'd like to have a squizzie, if that's ok? When you get a spare moment, naturally :D

... am trying to find one dOtty. The silicon biscuit sheet is trimmed so that it fits the mould from side to side and at the ends I've cut pieces of laminate. With this photo I've put some tape on either side, as I was doing some playing with the colours.
ecded089.jpg

Amy I can unmould my silicon moulds within 24 hours, the same time as for my wooden mould.

So where can WE buy up some of those supplies too! You said you could have bought even more!! :shock:

I did find freezer paper finally! So for now, I'm good with that. I might look at permanent silicone liners later.

Been making soap as much as I can (just had to get sick, ugh), up to about $200 (retail) in soap.. aiming for about $5k in stock before I go live.

So where can WE buy up some of those supplies too! You said you could have bought even more!!
It was a private deal between the seller and myself and I can't share (their request), I'm sorry! :oops:

Latest posts

Back