new and eager to learn

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 59485

Reaction score
I started researching soap making about a month ago, since I was curious about the process. Little did I know that it seems soap making seems to be a mix of so many things I forgot I loved doing so much. It's kind of a mix of chemistry, color theory and sculpting... and its easier to get started making soap than it working with clay is!

I just made my first batch yesterday using Zany's No Slime Castile recipe. It turned out beautifully and I can't wait to make more. I was really happy when I found it, since it seemed like a perfect starting point. Especially since I'm allergic to coconut oil, palm oil and similar oils. I prefer vegan soap recipes, since I've also had weird allergic reactions to meats. The next thing I'm trying to figure out is a recipe for a cold process soap that doesn't contain anything I'm allergic to and has goat milk in it. I'm curious what a goat milk soap feels like. Plus since I'm experimenting, I figure I should try goat milk at least once.

Where in the forum should I ask questions about soapcalc and also the best way to cut soap? I'm a little bummed out that the cheese cutter I got made a mess out of cutting my first batch.

Hi, the search engine answers. Most of my questions. And ask here of course.
Just use keys words to start. Then refine your searches. "What is soapcalc"
Also, first batch. Don't throw out your cheese cutter. Might be your recipe.
Hope this helps. Oh almost forgot....WELCOME

Welcome! I make a version of ZNSB with goat milk that is just lovely. Mine also has coconut oil for extra bubbles, but you could use sugar or sorbitol instead.

I've heard that some folks with Lyme Disease and other insect bits have allergic reactions to meat due to a toxin introduced to their system at the time of the initial bite. Whatever the cause, I hope you can find healing for that!

I just made my first batch yesterday using Zany's No Slime Castile recipe. It turned out beautifully and I can't wait to make more.
WOW! I'm impressed. Good for you!
a recipe for a cold process soap that doesn't contain anything I'm allergic to and has goat milk in it.
You can simply add GM powder to any recipe like Zany's Palm Olive Soap -- PKO (Palm Kernel Oil), Palm Oil, and Olive Oil.

I made Goat Milk Soap for a wholesale customer for 10 years. I used Meyenberg Goat Milk Powder, available at most grocery stores. I added the powder to room temp oils before adding the lye solution cold from the fridge to keep everything cool so it doesn't overheat due to the sugars in goat milk. Easy peasy. And waaaay easier than the traditional way of making GM soap.

Goat Milk Soap has been discussed many times here. Use the "Search" feature in the upper right corner of this page to understand more about how to make it. It's a little tricky made the traditional way with fresh goat milk.

Where in the forum should I ask questions about soapcalc
You can also use the Search feature for that or start a new thread.

Spend some time playing with SoapCalc. Hover over the numbers for each step to learn what to do. It's pretty self-explanatory. If you look at the top of the page, there is a bit about "Getting Started" and "Detailed Instructions" that pretty much explain it all -- probably better than any of the old SMF threads on the subject! 😁 If you still need help with it, feel free to start a new thread.

the best way to cut soap?
There are 3 ways I can think of... Practice, Practice and Practice. 😅
Seriously. We've all been through that. I never did try a cheese cutter though. I'm currently making small batches in my WSP 1501 Silicon Molds and using a wooden box with a flat blade and a wavy blade similar to the one shown below. Even that takes some time and effort to get it right.
Cutting at the right time helps too!

HTH (Hope That Helps!) and Happy Soaping!

:computerbath:

I started researching soap making about a month ago, since I was curious about the process. Little did I know that it seems soap making seems to be a mix of so many things I forgot I loved doing so much. It's kind of a mix of chemistry, color theory and sculpting... and its easier to get started making soap than it working with clay is!

I just made my first batch yesterday using Zany's No Slime Castile recipe. It turned out beautifully and I can't wait to make more. I was really happy when I found it, since it seemed like a perfect starting point. Especially since I'm allergic to coconut oil, palm oil and similar oils. I prefer vegan soap recipes, since I've also had weird allergic reactions to meats. The next thing I'm trying to figure out is a recipe for a cold process soap that doesn't contain anything I'm allergic to and has goat milk in it. I'm curious what a goat milk soap feels like. Plus since I'm experimenting, I figure I should try goat milk at least once.

Where in the forum should I ask questions about soapcalc and also the best way to cut soap? I'm a little bummed out that the cheese cutter I got made a mess out of cutting my first batch.
Start reading in the beginners forum, start from today's date and go backwards. You'll find most of your questions answered there, it will take time. This forum was created to help beginners get a start on their soaping journey, so get an exercise book and take notes, that way it will stick in your mind.

Latest posts

Back