My first CP's in about 6 years. Not so pretty...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vir99

Reaction score
I haven't made CP in years. I had forgotten things, like the soap sticking to the mold, the ashy textures, the burning when I pushed it out of the molds, the failed ugly textures, the mess, the mess, the mess!

First batch a few weeks ago. Some Drakkar Noir from Brambleberry in a bee slab mold, which stuck horribly, even after freezing. So I bounced and flapped it around, then realized I had messed up all the bees. Colorants are Labcolors aqua I think and some neon yellow.

Energy with neon purple and orange. Another horribly stuck mold. Smells great, though!

Hello Kitty in a strawberry scent with neon pink and labcolor green.

And I'm all "Derrrr. I don't know how to mix these colorants so I have big clumps of color." Now I've read that oil dispersing should work. I'll do it next time.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A week later, I try some cucumber-melon with labcolors aqua and melon red. I think there's too much oil in it and it's terribly soft. Although it didn't remain terribly soft a couple weeks later. I was unable to provide enough heat for the poor scarab beetle to gel and I hate his ashy texture.

I also tested Brambleberry's toasted rice colored with turmeric and burgundy oxide. I put it in a heart-shaped silicone baking pan and hot processed it at 190ish degrees for about an hour, then turned off the oven. I took it out in the morning and it had these large bubble marks around the edges, like it had boiled to death.

This weekend, I try some Brambleberry spearmint eucalyptus with black oxide, teal oxide and white in a pot swirl with disappointingly little color. Although I like the marbly texture of the black. At the end of the pot I was totally out of color so I added gold sparkle mica to see what would happen. After I unmolded and sliced it, I washed with a piece to see if the lather would turn black. It didn't, and the soap was even moisturizing. How nice! It gelled very nicely in the pvc upright mold.

Also, I made a test batch of Relaxing with burgundy oxide heavily used, sparkle gold and heavy metal gold, swirled in a Glad plastic container. When I slice it, I see it looks like a bathtub. Or a cat's head. That's handy! The heavy metal gold has greened and mostly disappeared and the sparkle gold seems to be holding on. At least for the two days that it has existed.

Interesting soaps! Love the colours of the soap in your first pic. Also the really dark ones in your last pic.

I only make CP soaps and have never experienced soap sticking to the moulds, but I'm careful to use moulds that are suitable for CP or line them. Why do you have burning when you push them out of the moulds? Are you unmoulding too soon, which can also be a cause of ash.

I've also learned to make ash my friend. I've not had it appear often, but it's only cosmetic and doesn't cause any issues with the soap.

In winter I use my oven to help gel my soap. From what I've read, it's important to keep the temp low. I think you may have had your oven too high. If I use the oven, I soap at 50C ... which is 122F.

I could be unmolding too soon. Also, I have vertical PVC molds that I heated with a heat gun and smashed. I did my best to smash it even, but the shapes aren't perfect, so that is a factor. That, and there seems to be a vacuum. I have been lining them so they aren't sticky like they were years ago. I have always had trouble getting CP out of fancy shape molds. How wonderful silicone is!

It burns because I wrap my bare arms around the pipe and push down laboriously and I always get a little raw soap on me. I need to dress in long sleeves.

I read somewhere to cook it at 170-200 degrees and obviously (now) it's too hot. I used to have a couple of cheap heating pads that I would leave on for a day or two to ensure gel. I bet those are about 110 degrees.

You might want to invest in some silicone cavity molds. They have come down in price a lot, there are many cute options (including hello kitty!) and they are SO easy to unmold. Try DIY Happy on etsy, amazon, or your local dollar store.

It sounds like you are unmolding too soon. If you're not gelling wait a few days. The soap shouldn't burn you when you unmold it.

You can get colors to disperse better if you use one of those little latte frothers - dissolve in water or a small bit of your soaping oils depending on what kind of color it is. Blends very well that way.

I like your colors, very vibrant!

Yes, I've been getting some silicone shape molds and I love them! Some shapes I love so much and they aren't available in silicone, like Milky Way. My hello kitty was silicone and popped out so nicely.

Sigh...I'll have to discipline myself not to unmold too soon.

Back