My father had a stroke

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NancyRogers

Reaction score
He had a minor TSI last Friday and then a serious stroke on Thursday. He's back in the hospital and has no use of his left arm and his left leg can move, but he can't really put weight on it. So he is limited in what he can do. We don't know how long he will be in the hospital, but they are going to start PT next week.

I'm looking for advice on ways to make his hospital stay easier. I've already figured out that pop up baby wipes are very useful and he can open the box and get them out with just the one hand. I got him an electric razor that's charging up now. Anything else that might be helpful?

I'm so sorry! I don't have any advice on hospital stays, but I'll be praying for both of you.

So sorry to hear about your father. This might not help with the hospital stay per se, but in the long run. My FIL had several strokes. Elastic waist pants were much easier for him to deal with than zippers and/or snaps. Also, button down shirts were also very hard for him to do by himself.

That's not much, but HTH. I wish your father a speedy recovery.

Nancy,

I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I wish I could help you but I don't know what to suggest. The only thing I can think of is something to keep his mind occupied. Perhaps audio books? He could put them in one handed and easily operate the buttons. Although I don't know if he'd be interested in them. I hope your father recovers quickly.

So sorry Nancy I think the most important thing is to just be there, be a sounding board for him give him lots of hugs. I am sure the rehabilitation team will give you loads and loads of great advice as they assess him. I am assuming his speach and swallow is not affected which is great.
Oh and dont forget to spoil him with lots of lovely smelling and energising soap.............Citrus blends maybe.

So sorry to hear about your Dad Nancy. Hopefully he recovers well.

I think just be being there and giving reassurance, your Dad will hopefully find this time a bit easier.

kharmon320 said:
Elastic waist pants were much easier for him to deal with than zippers and/or snaps. Also, button down shirts were also very hard for him to do by himself.

That's not much, but HTH. I wish your father a speedy recovery.

Thank you. This is exactly the kind of thing I need to know. I feel so dense right now. Everything that I figure out is making me go, "Duh! I should have figured that out before now." I think I'm just tired and overwhelmed so my mind is just not sharp.

Thanks everyone so much for your thoughts, prayers and support. I had a bit of a melt down last night, but I think I'm better today. Going to throw on some clothes and get up to the hospital early so I can actually catch the doctor.

Polo shirts might be easier to put on. I know my grandpa lived in them with limited use of his left side also.

He may need part or a full set or two of silverware with the ergonomic foam handles that make them easier to grab due to thickness and the foam giving better grip. He may only need one, PT will help figure that out. Start looking now where to find good ones at a good price however.

A decent sized shaving mirror that holds itself up with magnifying mirror on the other side. These are easy to find and help a lot.

You may end up looking into slip on shoes but I do know they made a shoelace replacement that zips or Velcros up so he can keep wearing lace up shoes he likes while not worrying about trying to tie the laces or having others around to do it for him all the time.

Wait for PT to get going and you'll be able to see better where you help then look for what ever will give him small victories in independence. He will appreciate it sooo much as well as a boost in mood.

I'm so sorry, Nancy! I think you've gotten good advice so far. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Amanda

I am so sorry Nancy!
My grandad was paralyzed for a few months and I know it's hard on the family. You have to be strong for him, have patience and just be there while he recovers. Help him go through the frustration of not being able to do stuff on his own like he used to, just yet. Smile and tell him how much you and your family love him and how important he is to you. That should help with his motivation through recovery.
Be strong Nancy, we're here for you!
hugs

Very sorry to hear about your Dad.....my heart goes out to you.

When my Dad had a stroke, we played cards using large print cards and a cardholder (held his card hand). My Dad enjoyed playing cards to pass the time plus it was a great therapy both physically and mentally.

I'm so sorry Nancy. Make sure to take care of yourself too. I hope your dad recovered to normal/near normal function.

I'm so sorry Nancy. I'll be thinking of you and your family and sending good vibes your way!

I hope he can recover and use his arm and leg again, is he scheduled for rehab yet? I would say at least it hasn't hit anything else yet, some get memory impaired and other mental issues.

He is in a rehabilitation hospital. He cannot live on his own now, so we've made a place for him here. They are sending him home with me on Tuesday. He'll start outpatient therapy after that. He is getting some movement back to the upper parts of his left arm and leg. Hopefully it will continue to improve.

I'm glad things are moving in the right direction.

With my dad, who didn't have a stroke but had other issues that limited his mobility severely, we tried audio books but he hated how he fell asleep during them. We got him a Kindle or the like and he loves it because he could turn pages with a tap. He props it up against something to read/

Latest posts

Back