Moroccan soap / Soap beldi

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh no, not for the soap per se, but for your Tadelakt projects.

Oh cement is much, much cheaper than soap, LOL! I just find it limiting at times. Can't do much in the winter, needs even more storage space than soap (if that's possible), 90 lb bags are hard on my old back and other stuff.

I can't sit on soap though, well technically I could make a big soap chair but it would wash away in the rain .. so I'll probably keep playin in the dirt. The nice thing is dirty hands need more soap, so I'm all set for hobbies now. Here's some of my smaller hypertufa projects: Tilda, my garden chicken, a plant urn that I'll fill this spring and a Japanese style lantern that is a work in progress. None of them will be Tadelakt. I've been planning the Tadelakt project since last summer and now that I've made the soap I need I can get to it. I'll do some small samples first before trying the chair but I'm really excited to give it a whirl this spring.

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

Hi Pilar. I speak Spanish. In fact, I have family in Spain and we exchange letters from time to time. I'm Brazilian, so it wasn't that hard :)
If you want, I can translate things for you. As long as you don't use slangs and such I can help :) cheers!

Hi Pilar. I speak Spanish. In fact, I have family in Spain and we exchange letters from time to time. I'm Brazilian, so it wasn't that hard :)
If you want, I can translate things for you. As long as you don't use slangs and such I can help :) cheers!

Thanks, you're very kind
Obrigado, você é muito gentil :)))

MzMolly65, I too sorry about your broken ankle
You already know my email and if you have any questions to make your beldi soap, you only have to write to me. For me it is a pleasure. :*

@MzMolly65

How is your project coming along?
Just in case you have missed think link:

http://www.permies.com/t/26216/cob/recipe-tadelakt

That's "stucco" or "estuco", no?
Here we use a lot, my house has enough. It is a technique of Moroccan lime plaster. A special lime and plaster stone which is compacted, thus acquiring brightness is employed. This material is used in Morocco cal not only for interior and exterior walls but also for floors, tubs, showers, tabletops and especially for hammams

http://carlossanzrodriguez.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/el-tadelakt-o-estuco-marroqui.html

http://www.estucos.es/?page_id=229

That's "stucco" or "estuco", no? http://www.estucos.es/?page_id=229

Yes, exactly. I was learning Tadelakt and started researching the soap they use to treat the plaster (for us plaster is different than stucco .. plaster is smooth while stucco is bumpy texture)

The soap to treat Tadelakt is the same soap used in the Hammams .. and that's how I ended up here and ended up making soap. My first batch of soap was similar to Beldi, but not exact. Now I will make your Beldi and try them both on the Tadelakt I do this summer to see which works best.

Yes, exactly. I was learning Tadelakt and started researching the soap they use to treat the plaster (for us plaster is different than stucco .. plaster is smooth while stucco is bumpy texture)

The soap to treat Tadelakt is the same soap used in the Hammams .. and that's how I ended up here and ended up making soap. My first batch of soap was similar to Beldi, but not exact. Now I will make your Beldi and try them both on the Tadelakt I do this summer to see which works best.

Here, the stucco is totally fine, soft to the touch, Marbled.
And now I understand what is Tadelakt, I have been reading and it is used because it is waterproof and diluted in water 1:10. Applies in brush and then the stone is passed to the soap penetrates

http://issuu.com/amorhumoryrespeto/docs/curso_de_tadelakt
Stone: http://easytadelakt.com/es/herramientas/19-piedra-de-pulir-grande.html
Soap: http://easytadelakt.com/es/herramientas/105-jabon-negro-especial-para-tadelakt.html (by the density, I see that it is already diluted)

Last edited:
Thank you for the links Pilar .. you can see how the soap they use is not quite the same as the Beldi recipe you posted. It is the same ingredients but I think it does not have the olive meat in it and I don't know if the lye concentration is the same.

I read some websites about Tadelakt and only indicate that use the Moroccan soap. Do not put what type or formula, just use that potash soap. In Mallorca also use soap but with coconut oil. In other websites puts the soap foam is used when applied. So consider this formula is the Moroccan soap and you have just found the proportion of soap and water to make your project.
The soap sold for tadelakt, is already diluted and I see the same color if you do that I did and you add water

I read some websites about Tadelakt and only indicate that use the Moroccan soap. Do not put what type or formula, just use that potash soap.

I only know the ingredients because I saw them written on a container of soap for sale by the Tadelakt masters here where I live. All the books I read talk about using the same soap as the Hammam so I will make the soap you shared with us and try that.

I only know the ingredients because I saw them written on a container of soap for sale by the Tadelakt masters here where I live. All the books I read talk about using the same soap as the Hammam so I will make the soap you shared with us and try that.
Seeking to internet homemade detergent (but more complicated, enzimes, surfactants...), I found this recipe beldi soap as you can see does not have many differences which I did.
http://www.japudo.com.br/downloads/black%20soap%20beldi%20rev1.xls

Do not forget you that I put less concentration because it is a soap that have to do much cooking time to have that texture

I wish I could help you

Last edited:
So my 2nd soap is also 100% olive oil...well plus the olive meat.
I made this over a week ago. Followed @Pilar recipe but overcooked
it. I think it cooked 4 hrs then I shut off crock pot and left it overnight.

Next day I did not like how it looked, very lumpy, kinda looked like dried
cat poop. I was disappointed but I figured, how well, you cooked it
too long. Maybe I just did not recognize the Vaseline look it was supposed
to have. Anyways, I spooned it into a container, covered it and that was
that.

About 3 days later I looked inside and it looked just as if someone had
poured some dark grey powder onto the cat poop. I panicked, suspect it
must be the ash everyone talks about but I promise, it looked like this
stuff was growing. I decided to toss it, but fear of not knowing what that
powdery looking stuff was I decided to add water to it, so that it would become pourable and easy to discard.

All this time the unknown stuff has been outside. Yesterday I decided it should be ready to pour away. I opened the the container and immediately
recognized that white creaminess when your soap has been left in water to
melt. I poured. About 1/8 cup is all that came out. Turned over the container to see why the rest was not coming out and low and behold I see
this brown shininess looking back at me. Holy Cow! I said. This is Beldi :)
So I decided to stir it up and leave it alone. I am a bit afraid to use it
though since I added that water to it? What was that grey/black powdery
stuff and where did it go? Sorry I didn't take those pictures, I was so sure it was a fail. Well, it probably was but it looks close to the one Pilar made.
Basically I still don't know how to make this but on the redo will stick to the
2 1/2 to 3 hrs. What do you guys think?

The grey powder might have just been just ingredients dry from the heat. When I made my batch (without olive meat) I had something similar along the edges of the pot. At first mine was brown paste that looked like baby food but the longer it has been sitting the more it becomes gel you can see through.

^^^^
Sounds like it would have still gelled even if I had not added the water to it.
I will try it again, not over cook it and thanks to you, now I know it won't be gel right off the stove. After the four hours it did look like baby food and then I think it even dried out more overnight.

Bought my can of olives and I'm off to the races!!!

... to be continued ..

Pilar? I think my soap looks dark but not like yours. Your soap looks solid black, mine looks lighter in areas with enough black specks that it "looks" black but not the same.

ETA: I cooked mine the way Pilar suggested but I don't think I stirred it enough and it wasn't changing so I gave it a whirr or two with the stick blender to get things moving along. Then after 2 hours it was still the same so I turned on the heat. Then it started to do things .. it went the usual way of HP soap and got thicker, then frothy .. I turned off the heat and it turned rock hard. So I turned the heat back on. Waited until it was soft and stirred it around a bit .. then I made the mistake of forgetting the crock pot on all night (thank God it was on low). This is what it looked like in the morning. I turned the heat off, left it sit until cooled and then put it in containers.

photo 1.JPG

It still looks good MzMolly as you remember mine cooked forever.
How long a cook was yours?

google translate is great and works everywhere internationally that I've been via the internet.

This is very interesting looking soap. Is it processed like castile soap? How long is the cure?

Thank you! Your english is much better than my Spanish!

Huh My previous response disappeared. google translate is so helpful to me. You English is much better than my Spanish for sure.

How long does this soap need to cure? Do you process the ingredients like you would any cold processed soap?

The instructions I have suggest if you cook it hot you can use it sooner than if you leave it to cure without heating it. I don't seem to be able to get mine to work properly without heat (I'm soaping impaired) so I treat it like HP soap .. it's technically good to use right away BUT it's better with some cure time. Mine seems to turn from an opaque pudding to a gel after about 4 weeks or more of cure time.

Latest posts

Back