minimum and maximum castor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnm

Reaction score
what is the generally considered minimum percent of castor used to get a good lathering bar? and the max amount before the soap gets to mushy?

I'd say max 10%.

I'm allergic to castor oil but when I use it I like around 5%, that's when I get the best feedback from the bars.

It all depends on your formula. I can use 23% castor just fine in my 65% tallow bar (no mushiness at all), but if I used that much in my 50% olive oil formula, it wouldn't be anywhere as nice.

A good rule of thumb is this: The softer the oils, the less castor you'll want to use (5% is a good starting point), and the higher the % of hard fats in your formula, the higher you can go on the castor. You'll have to experiment to figure out your own formula's point of diminishing returns in regards to castor.

Also- I find that castor oil does not add fluffy bubbles to my lather at all. It only enhances the bubbly lather already present from oils such as coconut, PKO and /or babassu. It provides an extra 'oomph' or 'body' to them, you might say.

IrishLass :)

I can't really give advice on the minimum amount because I love castor and have never used less than 8%.

When I first started making soap I used castor at 15%. The lather was great but the bars were short lived. I don't think it was just the castor that made the bars melt fast though...I was using an all veggie recipe with high coconut and no palm so it was a perfect storm of meltiness. I loved the lather but my first bars were definitely not my best.

I have since revamped my recipe to include lard and dropped the castor to 8-10%. The lather is still great and the bars last much longer.

I generally use 7 percent with no problem. I have used as much as 15 percent but didn't notice much of a difference between the two. So I stick between 5-7.

Back