Micas and DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I made a couple of batches of soap last week that turned out beautifully but shortly after cutting I noticed signs of DOS. I went crazy trying to find out why since my recipe is always pretty much the same.

I used a new mica to color part of these two batches. I didn't think this would be the cause but when I checked, the mica was indeed apparently the culprit. When I looked up the ingredients for this mica I found out that it contained Tin Oxide. I assume this was the cause of the DOS.

So now my beautiful soaps must now be laid to rest. :cry:

We use a lot of mica that lists tin oxide as one of the ingredients, and have not seen any correlation between tin oxide and DOS. Sunlight on the other hand seems to be a surefire path to rancidity.

I'm curious to see what others have to say...

Rob K said:
We use a lot of mica that lists tin oxide as one of the ingredients, and have not seen any correlation between tin oxide and DOS. Sunlight on the other hand seems to be a surefire path to rancidity.

I'm curious to see what others have to say...

I am curious as well. The soap had just been unmolded and cut so it was never exposed to any sunlight. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

post pics? it usually takes quite a while for DOS to show up unless your oils are already rancid to begin with... it is maybe FO that didn't mix in well?

Let me try to explain exactly what I saw when I unmolded. The first batch looked fine so I went ahead and cut it. While I was cutting it I noticed an odd smell. Not really strong and offensive just a kinda nutty smell that was overpowering the fragrance. I have seen no signs of spots yet but the smell will keep it from being usable.

On the second batch, when I unmolded it the side and bottom had an orange layer and the same weird smell as the first batch. I don't have pictures because I cut the orange layer off immediately.

They were both made in new silicone molds and I have used the same oils that I get from Soapers Choice since then with no apparent problems. The mica is the only difference that I could come up with.

Could this be something other than DOS...?

What is DOS? For the life of me, I can't figure it out,

What I do with batches that aren't what I consider sellable or I've forgotten what the fragrance is, etc, I grate it up in my washer for my clothes. Other times, I put them in a basket and see if a store will sell them as "Odds & Ends". I put $2.50/bar or 3 for $5.00 and they go like hot cakes. Getting something for them is better than nothing and keeps me from buying commercial laundry soap ;)

GoatSoaperLaura said:

What I do with batches that aren't what I consider sellable or I've forgotten what the fragrance is, etc, I grate it up in my washer for my clothes. Other times, I put them in a basket and see if a store will sell them as "Odds & Ends". I put $2.50/bar or 3 for $5.00 and they go like hot cakes. Getting something for them is better than nothing and keeps me from buying commercial laundry soap ;)

I usually do the same thing. I will cut them up in chunks or make curls, etc. or just give them away. I wouldn't want to wash my clothes with these and have that weird smell in my laundry let alone have this smell used in other soaps.

GoatSoaperLaura said:

DOS = Dreaded Orange Spots. It's usually a sign of oil rancidity.

I use micas in my soaps alot, and I have never had any problems with DOS in these soaps.

cinta said:
GoatSoaperLaura said:

DOS = Dreaded Orange Spots. It's usually a sign of oil rancidity.

I use micas in my soaps alot, and I have never had any problems with DOS in these soaps.

I use micas a lot also and love them. I just thought that the Tin Oxide in this one might have oxidized with the lye and caused a problem. IDK.

I guess I will never know, move on, and hope it never happens again.

from what I understand, DOS does not show up for a while, and it def wouldnt be visable on cutting.

Rancidity is usually when the soap goes yellowish and smells like oil. I had a sunflower soap that ended up smelling like a fish 'n chip shop - it was one of my first bars and I thought it was normal, and that I hadnt added enough FO! :oops: So much to learn!

anyway, the only way I could think that you could experience rancidity right of the mark, would be if your oils were already rancid, and you had a high super fat.....but even then....?

sometimes soap just has a strange smell, which can lesson as it cures.

as for the colour - did you mix your colours right through, and also your FO.

You said your molds were new - are they heating up lots causing sweating which could be sitting at the bottom of your mold. I've had FO sweat out of soap before, which could def colour your soap

Way too soon for DOS. That's rancidity and takes time to appear. A few weeks at least.

I am glad to hear you don't think it is DOS.

I plan to let them sit for a few more weeks and see what they do. If they do not deteriorate further, I think I will try to rebatch them in some coffee and try this new Vanilla Hazelnut fragrance I have.

Back