menthol crystals

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txsoaper

Reaction score
I was wondering if menthol crystals could be added to lotion which has already been made, or must it be added when the lotion is made? I have a batch of prepared lotion and some menthol crystals and a crick in my neck! I would love something with that heating effect to rub on my shoulders and neck. I have never worked with the menthol crystals before. I bought these a while back thinking I would try something with them but just didn't really know where to start. Is there a guideline as to how much you add when using it?

You need to melt the crystals down and you would normally use an essential oil or alcohol to do that with. If this is just for you then you can go up to 10% for a Tiger Balm type lotion/cream/whatever. Keep in mind that this is very, very intense and you really should be starting at around 2% and work up from there to what you want to use.....

HTH

My lotion in not scented yet, so could I just use some eo to melt the menthol crystals and then incorporate that into the lotion? Will it destroy the preservative system?

Hmmm - that's a really good question. I've only used it in shaving soaps so I can't answer your question about the preservation system....

txsoaper,

I would use a very small amount because it could adjust your perservative if you didn't account for scent when you made the batch.

Test and try it out first then with your next batch you can adjust your recipe to account for the scent.

I had a similar question awhile ago minus the menthol and this is the advice I was given.

Michelle

Latest posts

Back