Bladderwrack infusion - oil or water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ammanley

Reaction score
CP soapers, have you used bladderwrack in your soap? I just got a pound of it and I’m interested in others’ thoughts. Do you infuse your oils or infuse in water before adding lye?

I’m most interested in imparting a subtle seaweed scent, and I’d like to to an infusion because I don’t want specs of Bladderwrack in the soap itself. My Bladderwrack is the “whole” dried version, not ground.

I haven't used bladderwrack, but I can say that nothing that you infuse is likely to have the scent carry over into soap. Sorry!
Good to know!!! Maybe if I grind it and mix it in that will impart some scent, but based on things like nut shells and coffee grounds that seems less likely.

Bladderwrack is seaweed, so I would suggest soaking it at least overnight in some distilled water with some unrefined sea salt added. This would be a logical choice based on where the plant material originates.

That said, the likelihood of getting a brine-y seaweed smell is very unlikely. And you definitely don't want it smelling like seaweed which has been baking in the sun & stinking 😂

I'd try a oil infusion first. Fill a pint jar with the dried seaweed and cover with your liquid oil of choice.
Seal with a lid and put it someplace warm for a couple weeks. Shake every few day or wheneven you think about it. Strain well before use

Latest posts

Back