Measurement conversions Help :D

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspiringdakini

Reaction score
Hello, a lot of soap recipes that I come across simply say "oz." next to the ingredient. Does this mean that I should assume that it is measured/weighed in regular ounces whether it is liquid or solid? OR should I assume that liquids (water, runny oils etc.) are measured in fluid ounces and solids (lye, coconut oil etc.) are measured in regular ounces? Fluid oz. in the UK are a different measurement to the fl.oz. in the USA but regular oz. are the same :crazy: so it gets very confusing. Please can anyone help me to understand this? One would assume that the recipe would SAY "FL.OZ." if it were to be measured in fl. oz. What about melting all of the solid oils to liquid and measure everything liquid in a fl.oz. measuring jug and measure the lye in regular oz? Any help is appreciated very much! Thank you :thumbup:

Last edited:
Do you measure a recipe that calls for oz in fl oz or just oz even if the ingredient is fl?

Do you measure a recipe that calls for oz in fl oz or just oz even if the ingredient is fl?

Just oz. Your scale if digital should be able to "zero out" the weight of the measurement container.

I will taky my empty lye pitcher and place on the scale and that weighs 5 oz. I press the tare button which will then essentially make the weight read out zero (-5 oz) and then I will pour in my distilled water to get the accurate weight. The same goes for weighing my lye in a separate container, and then for all of my oils. I find weighing oils easiest to just put everything in the same pot.

For example, zero out your container, add your first oil until you get the right amount. Then zero out your weight and SLOWLY POUR in your next oil until you have the correct weight. Continue until you have all your oils in one pot.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Happy to say that I measured everything in oz. today and it worked!!!! lol. I was thinking, fingers crossed this will work and it did!!! It was melt and pour from scratch with propylene glycol instead of alcohol. It came out a bit amber tinted but I think that may have to do with the heat rather than the measurements. It is still perfectly usable. My scales only do fractions. I am going to have to buy some precision scales because mine only measure to the nearest fraction. SO happy about my soap :D Thank you for your help! It is so good to finally have an answer to that question! I have been scratching my head on that one for awhile now. Thank you so much!!! xo:wink:

It is a hot process with additives to make it like melt and pour. The recipe calls for propylene glycol instead of using alcohol because the PG has a higher boiling point and is easier. :angel:

Latest posts

Back