Made soap again, still love it!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolejka

Reaction score
I haven't made soap in about a year or so and didn't really miss it. But then few days ago I got the automated email from here if I am still making soap. I logged on, started to read all the posts and now I miss it very badly. I feel slightly obsessed :mrgreen:

So yesterday, I made a batch of soap.

Recipe I used was
30%Coconut
30% Olive
30% Walmart shortening (the one with beef)
10% Canola
1.5oz dewberry fragrance oil
2tsp agave nectar
1 or 2 tbs of dried calendula petals
1tsp sage powder
less than 1tsp paprika
cocoa powder for pencil line (never done this before)
total weight of oils 50oz

Everything was great, I had the lye water ready, and everything was set up. I had all the oils on the stove on low. Just waiting for them to melt. Somewhere in the process I felt like the oils are not melting fast enough and put it on high. Then forgot about it.
Come back to it few minutes later and the heat from the pot was unbelievable. Heated the oils to 300F .. oops#1
So had to put it in an ice bath because the lye water was almost at a good temperature.
Ended up mixing it at 120F, higher than what I am used to, but that's ok.

My plan was to make a lower layer yellow with the calendula petals, then use cocoa powder for pencil line, then do orange layer and swirl green into it.
When I put the fragrance in the whole thing turned bright orange ... oops#2

I went ahead with my plan anyway.

I blended the oils just enough so it was all mixed, separated into 3 containers. ANd did the calendula petals first. It didnt want to reach trace at all. Took a bit and even then it was only at medium trace, poured it anyway, dusted with cocoa powder.
Did the other two colors. Well since the first layer wasnt thick enough I broke the pencil line with the second layer ... oops#3

And finally... when I came up with the recipe, I looked at the total weight of oils and thought that is the perfect amount for my mold. Yup, forgot about the water. So I ended up with 4.8lbs of soap, barely fit in the mold ... oops#4

I unmolded this morning and it still looks gorgeous to me even though the orange and green layer swirl didnt really happen (it looks like). Can't wait to cut.

Sorry for such a long post, I am just super excited about soaping again :mrgreen:

239669_13May14_10335907_10203802325726383_728430278_n.jpg

edit: couldnt wait and cut it, as I knew, the pencil line is gone in the middle, which is fine. Looks interesting. This second picture shows the colors really well too.

239669_13May14_10331734_10203802643934338_964780475_n.jpg

made another soap a day later (because addiction) tried a different recipe and used mistletoe fragrance and sage powder for in the pot swirl
won't let me post a picture of that one, says I have 4 images on here already, which I dont .. weird

Last edited:
Good on you. It's so much fun isn't it? Once I left the oil on the stove (on low thank goodness) and forgot about it and went to pick up kids from school. Luckily house wasn't burnt down but sure was smokey!

Welcome back!
I use the microwave in 40 second bursts but still get sidetracked sometimes and forget about the soap project for as long as an hour as I'm working on something else. One of the kids or DW will open the microwave and I hear "Is this your coffee?" or "What's with the oil in the microwave?". Whoops! :oops: Forget about the popcorn and no one needs to tell you - you'll smell it. :sad:

I quite like the look of the interrupted pencil line! Pretty soaps and welcome back to it ;)

Hi, I did the same. I made about 2 years worth of soap for my personal use and i have not soaped since then, i am finally back down to about a 6 month supply. I have made 2 runs in the last week. I forgot how much fun it is. I have noticed how much the prices of oils have increased in the past 2 years. But i still had quite a stock pile of olive oil and coconut oil.

I fixed the picture thing, weird they wouldn't show up anymore.

Thanks everyone, I am having a blast. Made another batch on Sunday. Plan on making few more next weekend and the next ... until I run out of money lol
239669_13May14_10344875_10203812693985583_1851091538_n.jpg

Back