Lye Water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in an Asian Supermarket this morning looking for coconut oil (which they didn't have - they thought I had 2 heads when I asked for it ) with dh and he spotted Lye Water :shock: , so I had to have a look at the ingrediants and it listed it as - sodium carbonate and potassium carbonate so I guess they drink it.
Now if you drank our Lye Water :shock: :shock: :shock: .

that lye water is use for making noodles and other things they want to give chewy texture to. they'd only use about a tablespoon or two because it is still quite caustic.

this is so exciting for me to meet someone from sydney!

Thanks for the info, don't think I'll be buying any soon.
Where in Sydney are you ?

north of the bridge. what about you? mind you, i go all over sydney and beyond, it makes no difference where i'm from.

so many things we use in soapmaking are food related - it's just an extension of cooking, almost.

the shire? i've been going down there quite a bit lately - illawong, lugarno, panania, san souci (met some new friends)...many soapers where you are? i've only ever met one other person in real life who has made soap (out of curiousity, i think), and he lives in the city.

Illawong is the only place in the shire, all the others are st george area, I haven't met any other soapers around here yet.

Relle9 said:
I was in an Asian Supermarket this morning looking for coconut oil (which they didn't have - they thought I had 2 heads when I asked for it ) with dh and he spotted Lye Water :shock: , so I had to have a look at the ingrediants and it listed it as - sodium carbonate and potassium carbonate so I guess they drink it.
Now if you drank our Lye Water :shock: :shock: :shock: .

Wow, I'm suprised they were so surprised when you asked for coconu oil! My neighborhood Asian market (which is huge since we have a large Asian population nearby) carries at least 3 different brands of it. They also sell lye water for cooking, too.

IrishLass :)

i've asked around for coconut oil, but the only place they seem to have it is at those indian shops, and only in piddly quantities. even though i only make soap for ourselves, i still like buying in bulk, that way it's all there and i can soap to my little heart's desire.

relle, have you met other soapers? i don't think the guy i met who had made soap before qualifies as a soaper. and sorry about not getting my geography right.

Where I was,about 20 mins from home there is a large Asian population and the girl in the shop said they didn't use it in their cooking. I can get it in another area where there are Asian Supermarkets but its about an hour away :( I was trying a bit closer to home.

whisks said:
i've asked around for coconut oil, but the only place they seem to have it is at those indian shops, and only in piddly quantities. even though i only make soap for ourselves, i still like buying in bulk, that way it's all there and i can soap to my little heart's desire.

relle, have you met other soapers? i don't think the guy i met who had made soap before qualifies as a soaper. and sorry about not getting my geography right.

I emailed the guy who sells wholesale to the shops but he hasn't got back to me, the bottles in those shops are only 750mls anyway. I thought if I could buy a box from him I could get it cheaper and I go over that way to my African Drumming class every week. I did buy in bulk yesterday at Heirloom.
I have met one soaper at Bondi Markets.

i was going to say i'd be happy to split an order with you, but i think you would use the box up yourself in no time.

african drumming? that must be big - they were advertising that in my daughter's school email

I've been making a lot of soap recently and would probably use it up myself.
I've been doing drumming now for nearly 3 yrs :D and have a couple of drums, I think more and more are trying it.

Latest posts

Back