Lye Dipped Bagels & Pretzels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am working on some sourdough bagels and want to lye-dip them. If I remember correctly IrishLass lye dips pretzels and possibly bagels but does anyone else by chance? What I am looking for is the lye solution percentage to use, I have looked all over the internet and I am finding between a 1-2% lye solution. Does anyone know if this sounds correct? Thanks

Hi everyone,
I am working on some sourdough bagels and want to lye-dip them. If I remember correctly IrishLass lye dips pretzels and possibly bagels but does anyone else by chance? What I am looking for is the lye solution percentage to use, I have looked all over the internet and I am finding between a 1-2% lye solution. Does anyone know if this sounds correct? Thanks
You apparently are looking to do it right! :) I make perfectly good Cinnamon raisin bagels without dipping them. Do our stomachs really need lye?

You apparently are looking to do it right! :) I make perfectly good Cinnamon raisin bagels without dipping them. Do our stomachs really need lye?
Just like you don’t end up with lye on your skin from soap, you also don’t end up with lye in your stomach from lye-dipped foods. The lye is neutralized /converted by the process and ingredients.

Here's the info I've been using:

Use simmering 0.5-0.75% NaOH solution for bagels.
Use room temp 3-4% NaOH solution for pretzels.

Can make pretzels from a bagel recipe just by increasing the concentration of lye in the water bath, although pretzels often have some lard or butter too.

References: https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10877/lye-bagels
and reddit.com/r/Sourdough/comments/7crdie/sourdough_bagels_lye_bath_method/

@soapmaker The NaOH is consumed by reacting with the starches on the surface of the dough. This reaction with alkali changes the taste of the dough and it also firms the surface of the dough so it's easier to cook in a boiling water bath. Some people use baking soda instead. Or nothing at all. But the flavor is different when using NaOH.

@AliOop and @DeeAnna I knew there had to be an answer to that!! No bagel expert here. Just always thought my mouth gets sore when I eat pretzels because they've been lye dipped!

IMO, your mouth shouldn't be getting sore from lye -- there should be no active lye on a pretzel or bagel after it comes out of the oven. I'd be more inclined to say the coarse salt or other toppings often added to pretzels are far more likely to be the problem.

Here's the info I've been using:

Use simmering 0.5-0.75% NaOH solution for bagels.
Use room temp 3-4% NaOH solution for pretzels.

Can make pretzels from a bagel recipe just by increasing the concentration of lye in the water bath, although pretzels often have some lard or butter too.

References: https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10877/lye-bagels
and reddit.com/r/Sourdough/comments/7crdie/sourdough_bagels_lye_bath_method/

@soapmaker The NaOH is consumed by reacting with the starches on the surface of the dough. This reaction with alkali changes the taste of the dough and it also firms the surface of the dough so it's easier to cook in a boiling water bath. Some people use baking soda instead. Or nothing at all. But the flavor is different when using NaOH.
Thank you DeeAnna, Lye Dipped directions from The Fresh Loaf are the instructions I am going by but using the bagel recipe from The Perfect Loaf.

Back