Low foam, low streak soap for cleaning windows?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielCoffey

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could advise on a suitable soap recipe for cleaning windows without leaving streaks?

I am needing to clean the equivalent of about 30 standard external windows. The dirt is country dust rather than city/vehicle grease.

I asked the window cleaning suppliers what was the intended performance of their liquid soaps. They advised it was a low-streak, low-foam syndet so it got me thinking what my alternatives were.

Thoughts?

Even on the outside of the windows? We are talking about fine dust and grit, not fingerprints and I would have thought it might scratch with paper?

I like a combination of hot water, white vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

I prefer this too. I always have those things in my house anyway, no need to go out and purchase something. Score!

My favourite part is that:

1) There isn`t really anything better out there either, no matter how fancy and expensive it looks, with fancy packaging, or cool bottles.

2) When it is raining on your windows afterwards, you get to see the rain just float off the surface, like it is coated with some sort of superduperfancysecret nano-technology! But all it is, is the vinegar effect.

Stinky awesomeness in a bottle.

I use a wet scrubby pad to wash, a good quality rubber squeegee to wipe, followed by a microfiber glass cleaning cloth to fix any drips and smudges.

The cleaning liquid is whatever I happen to have that's suitable -- the vinegar-alcohol mix is good.

The squeegee method is the only way I will clean windows and I will actually do it willingly, which amazes my husband. He's tried to argue me into just using a cloth to dry because HE thinks it's just as good. But if I can't use a squeegee, the windows can stay dirty forever as far as I'm concerned. . :mrgreen:

For a couple years now I've used the recipe found on the link below (it's #2, the Window/Glass Cleaner) and haven't looked back. However, next time I make it I might try it without the cornstarch because I'm not really sure what it's supposed to do.

We live in the country, too, and it works very nicely on our outside windows (and works really well on mirrors inside). However, I've found it helps to wipe the outside windows down first with a slightly damp rag to remove some of the dirt/bug mishaps/etc. - the homemade window cleaner is more of a finishing shine.

http://andreadekker.com/favorite-diy-cleaners/

Aha - another squeegee-lover! Your secret is out!

I just looked up the fact sheet for the goop (Ungers Liquid) that shipped with my bucket/t-applicator/squeegee window kit and it has the following...

Fatty alcohol ethoxylate 1-5%
2-propanol 1-5%
Fatty acid amide alkyl betaine 1-5%

The rest is colour, scent and water. It seems cheap enough at about £6 for what I estimate is a year's supply for a domestic property but it is always good to get advice on alternatives.

The vinegar is practically free these days and readily available at supermarkets and the rubbing alcohol can be grabbed from typical soap-making suppliers.

I mix my alcohol and vinegar in one of those sprayer bottles that attach to the garden hose, then set it at a very low flow. Spray all those outside windows (leave the screens on for the first spray), let it sit a bit, remove the screens for a second spray, then come back with the alcohol/vinegar spray on just the windows, then just wipe/squeegee/whatever. The screens, if they need any further cleaning, get Dawn dish washing detergent sprayed on, then just rinsed. I also spray the vinyl siding with the Dawn dish washing detergent, then rinse with water.

Back