Looking for a Beginner Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggiedav

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here and have never made soap, but have wanted to for about 1.5 years now. I read your posts all the time and love all the advice and pictures you share. I have all of my tools and ingredients (I think) to make my very first batch, but even though I've been researching for over a year, I'm still worried I'll mess it up. I have these oils on hand and was looking to get yalls advice on what percentages of each will make a good, moisturizing soap: Avocado, Palm, EVOO, Coconut, and Shea butter. I eventually want to make goat milk soap, but until I get the hang of it, I'll just use water. TIA, can't wait to get your opinions! :)

A good start could be 55% OO, 20% CO, 20% palm, 5% shea.

A lot of people don't put shea in soap as it can get quite costly and may not add too much to the finished product. Some people have a good (and cheaper) supply of shea and so it really depends.

Run the recipe through a lye calculator to get the amount of lye that you need - between 5% to 10% super fat is best for a first batch so you have room for errors. Closer to 10% if you're not sure about how things will go with measuring and so on.

Most importantly - have fun! It's a great hobby

Edit - but I'm no expert, so someone else might be able to give you a better option

Last edited:
Thank you! I love Shea butter. I add it to my goat milk MP. It's probably all psychological, but it makes me feel like it helps my extremely dry skin, just a bit more. No to the avocado as well?

I don't bother with shea in soap anymore either, it might help your skin if you add it to M & P but its different in CP. I would do
60% OO, 20% palm, 10% CO and 10% avocado. I'd also suggest making your superfat 8%-10% if you have dry skin.

Keep in mind when using EVOO that it will make your soap a greenish color. Most people use pomace or plain OO, its cheaper and doesn't discolor your soap.

Thanks for the advice! It didn't cross my mind the evoo would make it greenish.

This is as simple as you can get, and it makes for a good all over soap recipe. It's a good recipe to get the process down.

11 oz lard or bacon fat
1.4 oz lye
3.6 oz water

It'll give you about 3 bars of 4 oz soap. It's cheap and if you ruin it you haven't wasted a lot of money making it.

Using those ingredients a good beginner recipe would be

40% Olive
40% Palm
20% Coconut

and 5% superfat

I have dry *cough* mature *cough* skin and I almost never go higher than 5% unless I am using all coconut oil. Higher superfat will decrease your lather, this is a good basic recipe to learn technique and then you can go from there using different oils and additives and superfat levels.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'd say I've got several things to experiment with now :)

Latest posts

Back