log style vs. individual bar molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danomyte

Reaction score
what are the pros/cons of a log mold vs. the flatter ones with individual dividers?

other than not having to cut each bar, are there any other things i should be considering?

that makes sense, thanks. any pros/cons when it comes to cutting?
what's worse, or more common: drag marks when cutting soaps made log style vs. marks from removing the dividers?

It is really easy to cut a log with a wire cutter and not worrying about trying to get the soap out cleanly. Plus gelled soap is easier to pull out.

that makes sense, thanks. any pros/cons when it comes to cutting?
what's worse, or more common: drag marks when cutting soaps made log style vs. marks from removing the dividers?

Drag marks are a result of cutting to soon, as would be marks from dividers. Or they could be from improperly cutting a soap with additives on top (like oatmeal). Those should be cut with the bottoms up.

I think they both have their place. You can do things with each that the other can't do.
could you go in to some detail about that for me? i've been making soap in a baking pan for about a year and am looking to upgrade. much appreciated!

Logs are easier to gel and easy to unmold and cut. Can make larger batches. Individual molds generally have 3-4 individual and may be harder to unmold and it's nearly impossible to get them to gel. I like individual or slab with dividers for my salt bars. Just some points from my experience.

Logs are easier to gel and easy to unmold and cut. Can make larger batches. Individual molds generally have 3-4 individual and may be harder to unmold and it's nearly impossible to get them to gel. I like individual or slab with dividers for my salt bars. Just some points from my experience.
fantastic. thank you so much for sharing!

I think the vast majority of soapers have some of each.

Generally, I use a log. However, I have certain individual molds that I love for their shapes, even though unmolding is a PTA.

If you want to do salt bars, individual molds are a necessity, since salt bars are too hard and brittle to cut without a big crumbly mess.

Individual molds can also be a big advantage if you are making a soap with milk, honey or both, because those ingredients contain sugar which can cause overheating.

Log molds are good because it's easier to gel in them. And they are much easier to un mold.

Currently I have a log mold that holds 4 2.5 lbs logs, a 10" silicone log mold that holds 50 ounces, 2 tall and skinny silicone log molds, a silicone tube mold, several PVC pipes, dozens of pretty individual plastic molds (bought during my early days before I realized what a PITA they were) and several individual silicone molds. I use all of them at one time or another. On my to-get list is a slab mold with individual dividers, and a rectangle vertical mold with a divider.

Slab mold with dividers vs log mold:
It depends on what you want to do. There are gorgeous techniques that only work with one or the other. Do you want to do pencil lines or a spoon swirl? Then log. Do you want to do a peacock swirl or a column swirl? Then slab.

You can get a 10" silicone log mold from Brambleberry for $21, and a slab mold for $13 (no dividers, you'd have to cut it yourself).

http://www.brambleberry.com/Original-Silicone-Molds-C364.aspx

I have a 18 bar slab mould with a cutter including the cut guides, way too many individual moulds, 3 x 2 lb log moulds, & 6 x 6 lb log moulds. So needless to say I like a variety but my log moulds are my favourites by far.

I would give log molds a slight edge over a slab mold, because some fragrances will cause your soap to thicken fast, or even get lumpy, and you end up with a rough or lump top. If you are using a log mold, it's easy to cut off the lumpy top, but if you use a slab mold, that's a lot more soap you'd have to cut off for a smooth bar.

Latest posts

Back