Liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawpaw

Reaction score
I made my first batch of liquid soap using the glycerine method and it came out beautifully (whoop whoop). I have just one question. I used canola and coconut oil and the paste came out brown, a clear brown to be exact. Do different oils affect the final colour and if so what oils can make a more clear or much lighter colour? I don't know if I want ALL of my liquid soap to be a dark brown. Might be hard to colour

Yes, the oils will make a difference but I find using the glycerin method also creates a darker soap than using only water to dissolve your KOH.

I didn't think the glycerine would also make a difference. I presume you know about the oils (I'm still learning). What oils would make a lighter colour, I don't mind if it's not see through clear but I really don't like the dark brown. Even light would be ok or off coloured. I can get most oils so choice isn't a problem. I haven't done 100% coconut as I think that might make a too cleansing oil.

I find that using 100% glycerin does make a darker soap, but others may not. I usually use 50% glycerin/50% water to get the benefits of the glycerin method without the high heat and mess. I have not used canola oil so I don't know how that would perform but would assume it would make a lighter soap. Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil, Castor Oil - all that I have used and using water, makes a light colored soap. How long did you cook your paste? I also find that a longer cook time can create a darker soap too. There are so many factors that go into making the soap paste, it is hard to say why yours came out dark brown. I only get that with Goat's Milk Soap.

I cooked it for about an hour after trace. I'll try the 50/50 method next and some sunflower oil instead.
Another question: I know using 100% water take longer but would it make the paste lighter then if glycerine where used (I realize the oils would still have an effect).

To really see the differences, use the same formula and make it using water instead of glycerin and compare the two. Using water does take a bit longer for the formula to come to trace, BUT, that is also dependent on your oils. A formula with a high olive oil content can take a very long time to come to trace, those with more hard oils, go faster.

If you absolutely have a problem with the color, substitute out some oils infused with some sort of colorant. I substitute paprika infused OO in some of my liquid soaps, I use varying amounts, but I can get from a light yellow to a rich red/orange if I use more. There are other herbs/spices you can infuse to get other colors. I just happen to use paprika to cook with, so I keep it on hand.

I don't know how hot you cooked that soap, or if you gave it a chance to get all the way to gel before starting dilution. I use a crock pot on low when I use glycerin to keep it from browning too much.

Latest posts

Back