Liquid Soap Advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araseth

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in the process of making my first liquid soap today. It's been 6hours in the slow cooker on high and is stuck at gel stage and doesn't seem to progress any further. I've tested an oz in 2oz of water and it was very cloudy. Is my slow cooker too low a temperature? (I bought a cheap one for the first batch) or am I just being impatient? Or something I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance. :)

Recipe if it helps:
Coconut Oil 76 deg 128g
Castor Oil 80g
Olive Oil pomace 146g
KOH 74g
Water 247g

Putting the numbers you wrote in soap calc it seems that you are using 0% SF. I would try the same exact amounts of oils but with -12% SF. So keeping oil weights the same, try putting:

KOH: 83.7g (if your scale is not 0.1 accurate, try 84g directly)
Water: 251g

I am currently in a process of experimenting also myself with liquid soap. Since 3 days ago, i've done small batches and used: 0%SF (cloudy!) & then -6%SF & then -10%SF & then -12%SF. Right now i have a -16%SF in a pot and i am waiting to finish! I test all these samples for clarity. After i will neutralize all of them, check pH and decide what i think is the best. I think this is the only way to go when you are making liquid soap. I mean you have to do 3 things: Experiment, experiment and experiment. I believe it is like this because not all oils are the same (the exact SAP numbers) and not all KOH are the same (some are 93% clean, some 90%, some -maybe- even 85%).

Thank you for replying :D After a long forum talk with David Fisher on his liquid soap forum we also came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough KOH. I diluted anyway, cloudy :(, but it soaps up lovely. Going to try a -12% SF today and will see. You're right it is a lot about experimenting. Would love to hear the results of your clarity too, are you using any olive oil in your recipe? I hear it's very hard to get it clear.

Araseth, I like David Fisher's recipe for liquid soap using just coconut oil and sunflower oil. I have made his recipe numerous times and really like it. It is a beautiful amber colored soap- mild and bubbly.
Carolyn

I have tried sunflower oil in my recipe today instead of the olive. I wanted to keep the castor in though, so today's recipe is similar to his apart from a little castor. His site is really helpful, especially with liquid soap as I don't seem to find others with anywhere near the amount of information and support he gives.

Araseth, I agree with you about David Fisher's website. When I first started making liquid soap, over a year ago, I researched everywhere and also read Catherine Faillor's book. However, his website made the most sense. I've made his recipe ever since and just love the results. I don't feel a need to add castor - very bubbly and thick and just lovely. I scent with 5X Lemon from NDA. BTW, nice blog!! I hope to start on body lotions soon!
Carolyn

Aww thank you, I'm glad you like my blog. Lotion making is a lot of fun, I'm sure you will enjoy it :D

Still having problems with my liquid soap, feel like such a failure lol. This batch bubbles and foams with agitation (so it's soaping) still but is also still cloudy. Ph tested and it's at 14, so I'm guessing this amount of lye I used today (-12%SF) is more than enough. It's been cooked for a total of 9 hours and tested 3 times for clarity and it's still cloudy. I have no idea, all I can try is to remove the castor but I doubt that will change anything. I hear it helps with clarity? :? I could try a different lye supplier but I'm not sure this is a lye problem. So confused, sorry for the ranting :p

There are some really great liquid soap makers on this forum - Big Moose and Donnie to name two. They may be able to solve your clarity issues. I can only tell you what I do. And I have never had to cook for nine hours!!! Try David Fisher's recipe exactly and you will have success!!

I don't know for sure what your problem is with clouding. My first guess would be are you sure your lye is KOH potassium hydroxide? I do most of mine in a crocpot on high and my soaps are clear after 2 hours or so. I go plus 2% on the koh so there is less to buffer down afterwards. PH test strips may not be a good way to check ph, a phenophaline (not spelled right) solution is better for liquid soaps.

Bruce

Thanks for the replies all, I'm hoping I've worked out my problem. I think it is that I have been using tap water. It's been fine for my CP soap I guess because there's no clarity to worry about there. I use tap because distilled water is so pricey here in the UK but I'll try to find some for the next batch. That won't be for a while though, but I'll update if it helps.

Bruce: Yup I'm sure I'm using KOH :)

Thought I would update this thread as the problem is resolved. I haven't got to visit the forum or make soap recently because I moved house but I finally got to try my liquid soap again today. It turns out it was a problem with the water. In case anyone else has the same problem as me (especially if in a hard water area in the UK) I cannot stress enough how important it is to invest in distilled water. I didn't know this for the first few failed batches and after further research when I did know I should have just bought the distilled but I'm stubborn hehe. For making opaque bar soap, tap has worked fine for me but for anything where you need clarity then distilled is key. Distilled water is expensive here in the UK and I tried my hardest to get a clear soap without having to buy it. In hindsight that was silly and I won't be making the same mistake again but hey I'm learning ^_^ If anyone needs help finding distilled water in the UK I have found two very good online stores. Bobby's Healthy Shop and The Distilled Water Company (the latter seeming to be better value I think, but the health shop is run for a good cause). I won't post links but a quick google of the names will get you there.

Araseth so glad to hear you solved your problem! Your soap is lovely :) You know I have a small distiller and just distill my own water - we drink it and (most importantly) I have plenty on hand for soap!! :wink:

Thank you very much :) I might invest in a distiller then sounds like a good idea, wouldn't be good if I ran out of water half way through a batch hehe.

Back