lip balm sunblock additive

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khermsen

Reaction score
This weekend my daughter-in-law stopped by to visit; she had sun burnt her lips!
OUCH!

I make a lip balm for my own personal use, never had a problem with sun burning but after seeing her swollen, painful lips I have decided to add a sun block to my lip balm.

After researching past forum posts, several ingredients stood out as possible sun block additives; shea butter, vitamin E and zinc oxide. Has anyone successfully used any of the sun block additives; if so, were they effective?

Shea and Vit E won't give you sun protection. Zinc might, but you won't know exactly how much unless you have it tested. You would be better off buying a commercial product in this case.

If it's for personal use I would try a bit of zinc oxide. I would never sell or market anything as having sun protection (you probably already know this...but I just have to say it for newbies who might read this). So for personal use...go for it.

On another note: I saw a lip balm being sold at Walmart at the checkout aisle that contained lemon eo. EEK!

Back