Lip balm bases

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindyw86

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the lip balm bases from AH/RE? I just ordered some of the macadamia & jojoba, avocado & jojoba and the Shea & jojoba to try.....
Also do most of you use sweetener or not? Any thoughts or helpful hints for just starting with balms?
TIA

I have never used a base, but I sure love making lip balm. I do use a sweetener, it is what makes us able to "taste" the flavors that we use in the lip balms.
Just take your time, do some research and have fun..get everything set up before you start it goes pretty quick making lip balm.

I haven't tried their bases but let us know how they work for you.

We do not sweeten our lip balms. We originally tried several sweeteners but didn't like the little aftertastes. Also, adding sweeteners cause some customers to lick their lips more to taste the products, causing chapping.

Thanks y'all, I will let you know what I think when I get them out and test them. They should be here Monday afternoon :) I will try some with sweetener and some without... If I like doing them I will probably eventually make my own from scratch but this seemed a good way to try and easier for my 8 yr old daughter to help.

I will check out thesage too, thanks for that site.

what a delightful project to play with your daughter...hope you have tons of fun! remember, you're making memories!

btw, I love the sage's chocolate, buttercream (with a few drops of mint e/o per tube) and mango...smells just like ripe nectarines!

Thank you! She is excited about it as she is at the age where she loves lip balms, glosses, makeup etc. and has already gotten my love of scents! Lol she loves sniffing my soaps and candles :)

My thoughts are how much to start,how do I figure how many oz to melt for how many tubes, as I want to do side by side comparisons with sweetener and without with the same fragrance in each different base. And how do u calculate fragrance for them....my site I ordered from says up to 3%. Should I start lower?

Thanks for the heads up on the flavor oil from the sage....I will be sure to check them out :)

10 grms of base should give you 2 lip balms...it's extremely hard to measure sweetener or flavors in that small amount...I tend to use the top end of recommended levels...I would have a little journal and start with counting how many drops you use...pour the tubes, let them set 24 hrs then try...if too week, unscrew them, remelt and add a bit more flavoring until you've got it where you want...and don't forget to write it down! btw, mint e/o is very strong...maybe 4-5 drops per 10 grams to start with.

can't wait to hear how much fun y'all had making this!

Thank you heartsong! I will probably do a few of each as I can get my sis and cousins to compare as well. And I don't want to start too small as the measurements would be so small.

I wish they would hurry up and get here :)

Back