lemon scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helen1949

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I got som Lemon Verbena Yankee Type from BB but I hear that lemon scents don't hang around long. Dose anyone know of something I could add to my soap to make it stay longer? Thanks!

I think they're referring to lemon or citrus EOs fading in soap. A good quality FO shouldn't fade or at least stay fragrant for a long, long time.

Hazel is correct, it is only citrus EOs that fade so badly. They do a really good job of fading very quickly and even leaving no scent at all behind.

I have anchored mine with cornstarch, and I think it does help. I find that it still fades a bit, but I also try to not overload it with FO, either, so maybe adding more would help. I just don't want an overpowering soap that makes your stomach upset!

I too use cornstarch as an anchor for the citrus's...I find it works very well~As an alternative try adding a little litsea with it. :)

adoptapitbull and trishwosere -

You both use cornstarch and litsea to anchor lemo/citrusy FOs? I'd heard using it for EOs but this is the first time I've heard it recommended for FOs. I've used orange FOs before and haven't had a problem with fading. Is there a specific problem with lemon FOs?

I have a couple of different lemon FOs (Lemon Geranium from TSW and Lemon Lavender from WSP), and for what it's worth, they both hold up strong in my soap without any anchors (2 years and still going strong).

IrishLass :)

I made some lard soap with that fragrance 4 months ago and it's still as strong as it was when I first made the soap. I used 1 ounce per pound and it was/is still very, very strong. Almost too strong. I don't think you're going to have to worry about that one sticking.

Hazel said:
adoptapitbull and trishwosere -

You both use cornstarch and litsea to anchor lemo/citrusy FOs? I'd heard using it for EOs but this is the first time I've heard it recommended for FOs. I've used orange FOs before and haven't had a problem with fading. Is there a specific problem with lemon FOs?
I have had a few prob's in a few batches with 'weaker' lemony citruses - and any citrus FO that loses it's 'Oomph' ,I now mix the FO with with a little cornstarch or add a little litsea and I find the scent stays in the soap. :D

Back