Laundry soap question - weights

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodeogal

Reaction score
I always seem to ask dorky questions, so I can only hope someone else is wondering, just not asking. lol.

I have made a BUNCH of powdered laundry soap to put in my booth. In researching an average price, I turned to Etsy. Here is the quandry. I can't wrap my head around how they are measuring the product. Should I measure by weight or volume?

30 TBS of my soap is approx 1.25 pounds by weight - or 30 HE loads. Some of the descriptions on Etsy are saying twice that many loads for the same 'amount' of soap. Any ideas?

I would go by weight also, since I think people in the U.S. are just more used to that and can envision it easier.

I think I am the lone voice of dissent here... Since laundry soaps and detergents are used in varying concentrations, I never pay attention to weight, just how many loads of laundry, so I can compare the price per load. JM2C

I would go by weight also, since I think people in the U.S. are just more used to that and can envision it easier.

Stuff's by weight? o_O I always thought it was by volume. Swear to God. I even measure my laundry soap out in measuring cups for their volume. Works fine. Regular soap by weight, et al volume.

I buy by weight and use by volume, if that makes any sense. Like new12soap, I also go by how many loads it can be used for.

Where do you buy KOH and what is the title of the product? When trying to find lye (sodium hydroxide), I had to buy a plumbing product because they don't want it labeled as lye.

KOH is potassium hydroxide, and unless you have a chemical supplier close by I think you may need to order it online. I have never seen any version of it in stores, anyway.

I think I would list it by weight if it is powdered soap and fluid ounces if liquid laundry soap. I just checked a liquid Era bottle and they have it by fl. ounces, but not weight. I would also put a statement to the effect of "suggested usage: 1/4 cup per load (HE)" or something to that effect. I don't weigh my laundry soap out to use it, I scoop out using the size scoop I have determined to be correct for my laundry.

Latest posts

Back