Lather??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tklechak

Reaction score
I would like for my bars to have a little more lather. Which ingredient(s) produces the most lather?? I have been doing a 70% OO and 30% coconut oil soap and I would like it to lather a bit more. Thanks ALL !!!!!

You could use some milk in place of part of your water or beer. Also adding sodium citrate at about 3% of your oils will increase lather. Egg yolk can give you a creamier lather and I think will boost it a bit, as long as it doesn't end up really increasing your SF.

There was an additives swap done that showed how different additives can increase lather (or not) but I can't find the link. Does anyone else have it?

I rummaged through my soap notes and found this for you as well:

How to boost lather:
"Substitute KOH for part of your NaOH in the recipe. KOH makes soaps that are readily soluble in water (that is why it is used for liquid soapmaking). 5% should be enough. Do not forget that you need more KOH than NaOH to saponify the same recipe, so use this formula: amount of KOH needed = 0.713 / amount of NaOH you substitute for (e.g. if you need 100g of NaOH for your recipe, you take out 5g of NaOH and will add 5g / 0.713=7g of KOH. Thus, you will need 95g of NaOH and 7g of KOH.)"

Back