Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally got the lard 2 days ago and did couple batches of soap yesterday. I LOVE it.
I settled on 40% lard, 40% tallow, 15% coconut and 5% castor.
First of all, the trace is very slow. It is perfect to do any swirls I ever wanted.
With the first batch I wanted to do a hanger swirl, so I divided the batch into 2/3 main, and 1/3 was divided in half. The large batch I added couple drops of annatto in olive oil, wanted to make yellow base. And for the smaller 2, I mixed with different amounts indigo in olive oil, the smallest batch got the most of indigo. This batch ended up tracing very fast and it was pretty much clumps when I was trying to pour it in the middle of the mold. The other indigo batch was kind of OK, but still thick. The batch with annatto was so thin, that I had ended up waiting about 10 min after doing the hanger swirl before I could finish the top.
Here is the resulting soap:
cloud soap.jpg
I called it cloud soap. As you see, the darker spots got dragged by the hanger, And the annatto ended up being pinkish-purple, nothing yellow or orange about it. So I know never put olive oil into this mix, it will accelerate the batter.
My next batch I wanted to do a ghost soap. Followed the instructions of "Holly's soap making" on youtube, but with my recipe. Here is what came out of it.
ghost soap 1.jpgghost soap 2.jpg
The batter behaved very well. the high water part accelerated slightly but with lots of time to work with. In fact, it is the first recipe the I had to stick blend for like 7 min almost continuously before it even came to a thin trace. It was so thin that I was worried that I am getting a false trace.
BTW, I mixed the lye and oils both around 110F because at lower temp the oils were getting cloudy. I normally soap around 80-85 to prevent fast trace.
I am very excited. Thanks every one for all the info about lard. Alone with tallow, the lard became my favorite fat to work with.

So I finally got the lard 2 days ago and did couple batches of soap yesterday. I LOVE it.
First of all, the trace is very slow. It is perfect to do any swirls I ever wanted.
With the first batch I wanted to do a hanger swirl, so I divided the batch into 2/3 main, and 1/3 was divided in half. The large batch I added couple drops of annatto in olive oil, wanted to make yellow base. And for the smaller 2, I mixed with different amounts indigo in olive oil, the smallest batch got the most of indigo. This batch ended up tracing very fast and it was pretty much clumps when I was trying to pour it in the middle of the mold. The other indigo batch was kind of OK, but still thick. The batch with annatto was so thin, that I had ended up waiting about 10 min after doing the hanger swirl before I could finish the top.
View attachment 76704
I called it cloud soap. As you see, the darker spots got dragged by the hanger, And the annatto ended up being pinkish-purple, nothing yellow or orange about it. So I know never put olive oil into this mix, it will accelerate the batter.
My next batch I wanted to do a ghost soap. Followed the instructions of "Holly's soap making" on youtube, but with my recipe. Here is what came out of it.
View attachment 76705View attachment 76706
The batter behaved very well. the high water part accelerated slightly but with lots of time to work with. In fact, it is the first recipe the I had to stick blend for like 7 min almost continuously before it even came to a thin trace. It was so thin that I was worried that I am getting a false trace.
BTW, I mixed the lye and oils both around 110F because at lower temp the oils were getting cloudy. I normally soap around 80-85 to prevent fast trace.
I am very excited. Thanks every one for all the info about lard. Alone with tallow, the lard became my favorite fat to work with.
Interesting ~ hadn't really thought about combining lard and tallow in the same batch 😀

View attachment 76704
Did you end up sticking with 2% superfat? The ghost soap looks amazing!!!

View attachment 76704
That ghost soap is beautiful. Did you add a fragrance?

Latest posts

Back