Lard & Fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvOurNewf

Reaction score
Don't know if it's pure coincidence or there's something to it but all my recipes that contain Lard seem to retain fragrance oil scent better than those that don't have Lard.

I use Lard at 15% and the other oils and butters all vary in percentage from recipe to recipe. Sure I have others that stick which don't contain Lard but a lot seem to be mild or fade after a few months.

Like I said may be only coincidence or maybe I'm just :crazy:

I ran into a thread on another soap forum that ended up talking about this. Concensus was that lard held certain FO and EO better. Also palm some were finding morphed these same scents or they were weaker and did not last as long.

Oh no. I just decided to go all vegetable with palm at 30%. Well I guess I will see.

I loved lard. I don't know why I decided to go palm except I guess if I ever wanted to sell, ever got organized enough and had good bars turned out regularly more people would buy them.

Why not make both that way you can have the option for buyers. You can even do test smples with both types and see what scents work well with each.

I guess a 1 pd batch is a test sample. I'm going to do some 8 oz batches though too. I wonder if using refined shea butter and palm shortening both together is going to deplete the scent.:confused:

Please be very careful making those test batches. With such small amounts accuracy becomes even more critical as even a tiny error can result in over or under superfatting. An 8oz all olive oil batch at 5% sf needs 1.03 ounces of lye, or 29.18 grams. The same batch at 0% sf is 1.084 ounces of lye, or 30.72g. That is not a wide margin! This is part of why I personally always recommend starting w 1.5 to 2 pound batches and weighing in grams. Soapcalc will let you enter your recipe in ounces, pounds, or grams, then print it out for you in both ounces and grams. Grams are more accurate! JM2C :)

I like grams and I've been starting to do more recipes that way lately. One batch I have some trepidation about is Heather fragrance oil. Might not seize so quickly in a small batch. At least I hope!

IMO most people don't even ask me what's in my soap, although the lard is listed on my labels. Around here, people just don't care.

Latest posts

Back