Labeling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were going to include an allergen advisory, I think it would be something more like: "Please read ingredients label for list of potential allergens" and then would make sure to list all the ingredients in order of amount. Federal law does not require listing ingredients for CP; state law may vary unless there is other law out there establishing it is preempted (ie; that federal law trumps) that I don't know about. But I think it is a good practice to always list ingredients anyway.

If I were going to include an allergen advisory, I think it would be something more like: "Please read ingredients label for list of potential allergens" and then would make sure to list all the ingredients in order of amount. Federal law does not require listing ingredients for CP; state law may vary unless there is other law out there establishing it is preempted (ie; that federal law trumps) that I don't know about. But I think it is a good practice to always list ingredients anyway.
How do you fit all the ingredients on labels?? Do you list each colorant, eo in a blend, etc.? I am going to work towards using QR codes for full soap ingredients as i like "naked soap". Right now am just getting started on a super small scale at my local co-op, but they want a label with ingredients.

I have been researching websites, etsy, etc. and I find that most people list what is not in the soap in more detail than the actual list of ingredients.

I just want to make soap and sell enough to make more soap.

With colorants I only use mica, oxides, titanium dioxide, and activated charcoal, and list them as such. For FOs (I almost alway use them rather than EOs) , I just list "fragrance". I don't sell and never have, but probably the most respected authority on this is Marie Gale's Soap and Cosmetic Labeling, it is a very well researched book, written in plain English rather than regulatory-speak.

ETA: Honestly, I think that it would be hard to get in trouble with this with CP unless you were advertising it as having positive medical effects, which will put you into drug territory and is more likely to catch the attention of state/federal enforcers.

Last edited:
When I was preparing to sell, I contacted Marie Gale directly and hired her to review my labeling. She pointed out a lot, was extremely helpful, and extremely pleasant to work with. Her label review service is reasonable for what you get, and how fast she prepares her findings. She also coached me through the changes and was kind enough to peek at my revised label to point out anything else. It gives me enormous peace of mind knowing my labels are to standard.

Latest posts

Back