Knife v/s Bud's Wire Cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of problems with my cuts in the last several months. It happened when I began using SL regularly and silicone molds. I tried various ways to fix the problem but always ended up with the bottom chipping off, especially on the "log" side of the knife. I finally decided to buy a wire cutter from Bud Haffner. Woohoo! No more chipping!:clap: In the photo you can see the 2 bars on the left that have large chipped edges but the 2 on the right look great. (HUGE sigh). This is a photo of the bottom of the bars. And yes, I got a partial gel with this one.

BTW, I got the adjustable single wire cutter because I cut different width bars based on the mold I use. I'm doing my happy dance right now! (Luckily you guys can't see how dorky that looks, lol!)

Cuts.jpg

I've had a lot of problems with my cuts in the last several months. It happened when I began using SL regularly and silicone molds. I tried various ways to fix the problem but always ended up with the bottom chipping off, especially on the "log" side of the knife.

Very nice!

I used to have the same chipping problem when soaping with sodium lactate until I figured out it only happened when I used my normal 3% SL while discounting my water too far beyond a 2:1 water to lye ratio. As long as I stick to a 3% usage rate with a 33% lye solution, I'm fine. But if I use a sronger lye solution, I need to knock my sodium lactate down to 2% or so.

IrishLass :)

Very nice!

I used to have the same chipping problem when soaping with sodium lactate until I figured out it only happened when I used my normal 3% SL while discounting my water too far beyond a 2:1 water to lye ratio. As long as I stick to a 3% usage rate with a 33% lye solution, I'm fine. But if I use a sronger lye solution, I need to knock my sodium lactate down to 2% or so.

IrishLass :)

That's interesting, IrishLass. I usually use 33% "water as % of oil wt" and the photo'd batch had 35%. I was using SL at 2% but decreased it to 1.5% to try to help with the chipping - no luck. I even tried cutting at different times after pouring. First I waited longer, then I cut sooner. It all chipped the same. I thought maybe my knife was too thick so tried a different one, still no luck. So...the order out to Bud.

Cutting this batch was a lot different than normal for me too. I unmolded and did the first 2 cuts about 12 hours after it was poured. I decided to put it back into the mold, cover and put it in the fridge since I was in a hurry to get out of town. Luckily my cutter came in the mail while I was away so I took it out of the fridge and cut. This loaf was 4 days old. I can only imagine how badly it would have chipped if I was using a knife.

Bud to the rescue!

Danger, Will Robinson, danger! :D

Please don't get confused --
33% "water as % of oil wt"
is not the same as
a 33% lye solution!

Exactly, that's why I specified my usual process. Thank you for pointing that out for those that may have missed it! :D In my 35% "water as % of oil wt", the water:lye ratio is about 2.5:1 which another reason I'm scratching my head over the chipping problem. I use more water than IrishLass (she mentioned 2:1 water:lye ratio) plus less SL. I'm baffled and irritated by the problem but happy the wire cutter worked well. :thumbup:

I have recently purchased the same cutter and absolutely LOVE it! Highly recommend it, and Bud was so easy to deal with. Enjoy your new toy!

If you're using a real knife (as opposed to a bench scraper type of cutter), the wedging action of the knife blade can cause problems where a wire cutter or bench scraper won't. Even a wire cutter can cause chipping under the right circumstances -- I've had that happen with my Bud cutter. The damage is different -- a wire cutter causes a chip of soap to fly out and away from the bottom of the cut. A knife fractures the soap so the last bit of the bar just splits apart sideways.

Lovely smooth cuts with your new cutter. I'm feeling so envious right now. I would really love a bud but the soap postage to the UK is so expensive!

Lovely smooth cuts with your new cutter. I'm feeling so envious right now. I would really love a bud but the soap postage to the UK is so expensive!

Hi Rowan! Yes, international postage can be more than the item you want to buy. :cry: Surely there has to be a UK version of Bud. Hopefully someone else from your part of the globe can chime in with a suggestion. I like the thicker piano wire he uses which makes the cut straighter, IMO. I tried a cheese cutter but it kept wobbling around while cutting and I had jagged places in the bars. I hope you can find one on your side of the pond!

Thanks Krista. If I can't find something similar in the UK, I will definitely save up to get one! I've had the same problem with wobbly cuts using a cheese cutter too!

MY NEXT ITEM TO ENGINEER: I was meandering the guitar chop for wire. I wanted that military wire they use to cut throat :( dont know what it is called. hubby dont know either. but i have the plans all in my head. will draw them out and post for you gals.
want to keep under 30 bucks to create from scrap wood from Home depot. I initially wanted steel but that would mean hubby would have to drill holes. I am looking at the strips or steel with holes also. I'll keep yall posted.

Thanks Krista. If I can't find something similar in the UK, I will definitely save up to get one! I've had the same problem with wobbly cuts using a cheese cutter too!

If you ever find one in the UK, please let me know. I want one too!

Nice! I just got a Bud multi bar cutter this week. I love it!!! It is so easy to use, may bars are even, and it is fast! Love, love, love it.

I've been having problems with my Bud cutter lately. I have the adjustable single-wire cutter. Sometimes the wire deflects/skews, no matter now much I tighten it, and even when I'm cutting thicker than his recommended minimum of 1/8 inch.

The other, more frequent problem is that my cuts come out slanted, so when I line up the cut bars, they look like a row of crooked teeth. But it doesn't do that all the time, so I'm pretty sure the problem is ME, not the cutter. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I've been having problems with my Bud cutter lately. I have the adjustable single-wire cutter. Sometimes the wire deflects/skews, no matter now much I tighten it, and even when I'm cutting thicker than his recommended minimum of 1/8 inch.

The other, more frequent problem is that my cuts come out slanted, so when I line up the cut bars, they look like a row of crooked teeth. But it doesn't do that all the time, so I'm pretty sure the problem is ME, not the cutter. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Most likely your loaf is moving back when you go to cut. Try putting something flat behind the loaf and hold it steady with one hand. I think you'll find the loaf starts pushing against your hand trying to move.

Latest posts

Back