Kitchen Spices in Your Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squyars

Reaction score
Can't really find the answer. Probably not looking in the right places, but can I use ordinary ground spices, such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and clove to color and scent my soaps?

I'm sure they will leave specks, but will there be any scent, or will saponification eliminate the lovely smells. I really am resisting using FO' s for my pumpkin bars, and quite frankly, I'm anxious to make them, and don't want to wait a week for EO delivery. I have my spices already in hand. LOL!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Not wanting to wait has caused me to experiment so much! Some have failed and I've had some neat successes! Of the spices you named, I've tried cinnamon. The color was great and it's not too "scratchy" but the scent is very very faint.. I doubt there will be much left after a few more weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I make pumpkin spice bars and I use cinnamon and pumpkin puree too. I make them hot process and I do use cinnamon and raw honey. I do however use FO in my batch when I make them.... I use orange, cinnamon and spice FO. They smell marvelous!! I have used lots of spices from the kitchen but none of them have scent inside the soap... IMO.

One of my first soaps was a cinnamon orange soap made with orange EO and ground cinnamon. I can't remember if I infused my olive oil with the cinnamon or if I made a tea. Yes, it was a bit scratchy. And yes, a faint scent survived saponification. At this point I cannot remember how much I used. Do bear in mind that cinnamon (both spice and EO) can be a skin irritant and go sparingly.

Ooh, thanks for the suggestions, personal experiences and links to other threads.

Last edited:
I have been experimenting with infused oils trying to use the oil as my base and hoping the scents cary through. First I tried a double fold lemon infusion that smelled really strongly of lemon when it went in and came out sans scent. Then I left coffee, black tea, camomile buds, star anise and clove. I used them all as the olive oil in a base that was 90% OO 10% CO. After about a week they all came out smelling a little different but not so much so that I would describe them as anything other than different soap. The only exception is the star anise which has a just barely detectable scent to it. I'm going to run a couple more experiments and maybe save some of the oil to trow in at trace. Got some more stinky spices from the bulk bins so I will give it another go and report back if there is any success.
I also read somewhere that there is a supplier that sells a five fold lemon infusion that does carry through but sorry I have no idea where that was available.

What a timely thread :) I made some soap with cinnamon in the swirl portion of the soap as a gentle exfoliant. My first time using WSP's Spiced Cranberry. LOVE this scent..hope it sticks!

Try oil infusion – is great way to get nice color, and is not scratchy in end product ;)

I have 2 Tbsp paprika infusing in 5 oz olive oil (for color), and about 3 Tbsp clove buds, ginger and nutmeg infusing in another 5 oz. I plan to use these in my pumpkin spice bar.

To make it easier, I tied the spices up in a coffee filter so clean up wouldn't be too messy. I placed the jars in some simmering water to get the infusion started. I plan to let them sit overnight to cool before trying them tomorrow in my two pound recipe. I also have a little cinnamon and clove EO, but don't want to go to heavy (worried about it being too harsh).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Is that 3 tbsp each of the spices in the pumpkin spice oil, or even tbsp total (1 tbsp of each spice)? I'm thinking about trying a pumpkin soap in time for thanksgiving..

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Soap Making mobile app

I made a cinnamon/vanilla bean speck soap - I didn't use too much cinnamon (enough that the soap was dark), and even after a year I can still smell the cinnamon - Yum. It is soft but there and beautiful.

I used slightly over one tablespoon of the clove buds, 3/4 tbsp ginger and nutmeg. I would have used cinnamon too, but I have it as an EO, and I might dust the top with it. Not sure yet.

Back