Just-For-Soap Pre-Blended Oil Combos

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapetite66

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I'm new to the forum and soap making and at the present time I'm trying my hand at MP. Although I'm into MP at the present time, I eventually want to get into CP...later.

Getting to the point...There is a company called Oils By Nature (see link below) that has five pre-blended oils combinations for making CP a little less difficult.

Example:

JUST FOR SOAP™ OIL BLEND #001

Our Just For Soap™ Oil Blend #001 contains the following ingredients:

* Babassu Oil - great lather and bubbles, adds hardness
* Castor Oil - adds stability and richness to lather
* Coconut Oil 76 Degree - provides lather and hardness
* Olive Oil - provides gentle cleansing and conditioning
* Palm Oil - adds hardness and promotes lather stability
* Sweet Almond Oil - all over excellent emollient

http://www.oilsbynature.com/merchan...Y&Store_Code=OilsBN&Category_Code=JustForSoap

I have purchased oils and butters from Oils by Nature for and will again as they ship promptly and my order comes without problems. They are one of the few companies that still sell their oils etc. in 8lb(pd) containers where as other companies sell only 7lb which as you know is only 96oz and not a gallon...yet they sell for gallon prices. :evil:

lapetite66 said:
where as other companies sell only 7lb which as you know is only 96oz and not a gallon...yet they sell for gallon prices. :evil:

um. fluid ounces are not necessarily the same as weight ounces.

and columbus foods prices by the pound and puts their oils in gallon container. but they don't claim it's a gallon - they sell 7# of oils as 7#.

Lots of people "master batch" their oils. For someone just starting or a hobbiest i would think this would be nice. But for most of us part of the joy is designing a recipe.

I like obn, I use them alot, I like that you can order 5lbs of butters for a good price, I DO also like columbus, but you have to order 10lbs or more of butters.
i ve never tried the preblended, I prefer to make my own.

lapetite66 said:
Hi everyone:

I'm new to the forum and soap making and at the present time I'm trying my hand at MP. Although I'm into MP at the present time, I eventually want to get into CP...later.

Getting to the point...There is a company called Oils By Nature (see link below) that has five pre-blended oils combinations for making CP a little less difficult.

Example:

JUST FOR SOAP™ OIL BLEND #001

Our Just For Soap™ Oil Blend #001 contains the following ingredients:

* Babassu Oil - great lather and bubbles, adds hardness
* Castor Oil - adds stability and richness to lather
* Coconut Oil 76 Degree - provides lather and hardness
* Olive Oil - provides gentle cleansing and conditioning
* Palm Oil - adds hardness and promotes lather stability
* Sweet Almond Oil - all over excellent emollient

http://www.oilsbynature.com/merchan...Y&Store_Code=OilsBN&Category_Code=JustForSoap

I have purchased oils and butters from Oils by Nature for and will again as they ship promptly and my order comes without problems. They are one of the few companies that still sell their oils etc. in 8lb(pd) containers where as other companies sell only 7lb which as you know is only 96oz and not a gallon...yet they sell for gallon prices. :evil:
I'm sorry, was there a question attached to your post? In any event, I've used OBN, and haven't had problems with their oils, waxes, butters, etc, but haven't purchased the preblended. Some people have raised concerns about this type of masterbatching since you don't know the exact proportions of each oil- correct me if I'm wrong, but you're given a SAP value for the batch, not proportions of each. The different oils also have different shelf-life(s), and some are concerned that shorter shelf-life oils could have the entire batching going rancid sooner. Like others have said, designing one's formula is part of the fun of soaping :)

I haven't used this company-but for my first soap batch I did but a predone kit. The oils came seperately-with oz on the recipe. They were not batched together.

Persoanlly this was great for 2 reasons-I knew how many oz of each oil (I changed it slightly-with a soapcalc) and I had oils leftover for other soaps.

carebear said:
lapetite66 said:
where as other companies sell only 7lb which as you know is only 96oz and not a gallon...yet they sell for gallon prices. :evil:

um. fluid ounces are not necessarily the same as weight ounces.

and columbus foods prices by the pound and puts their oils in gallon container. but they don't claim it's a gallon - they sell 7# of oils as 7#.

Carebear

I simply put out the information about the pre-blended oil combos. It's up to the individual whether or not they choose to buy it or not.

I not saying that the various companies claim that the 7lb is a gallon.
I said that a lot of companies sell 7lb containers of oil instead of just starting the bulk size from 8lb etc. I will stand by that statement because it is a fact. A company that I still do business with Camden Grey used to sell by the bulk size starting at 8lbs but their bulk size start from 7lbs on.

I still do business with Camden Grey because they have good prices on EO's and other stuff I use but when I want carrier/fixed oils I purchase from Oils By Nature or other companies that sell 8lb containers as opposed to 7lb ones. I can't speak for everyone else but I like getting my money's worth and the point I was trying to make is why pay the price of 8lb when you are only getting 7lb?

Example
Oils By Nature - 8 Pounds Castor USP $16.80
Camden Grey - 7 Pounds Castor ($16.45)

Yes? As long as you can do the math you can compare the price per pound.

Columbus Foods Castor Oil 7# $14.70 = 2.10/lb

Oils By Nature - 8 Pounds Castor USP $16.80 = 2.10/lb
Camden Grey - 7 Pounds Castor ($16.45) = 2.35/lb
And I don't believe I said anything about the blends. I think they are fine. If that's what you wish to buy then have at it.

carebear said:
Yes? As long as you can do the math you can compare the price per pound.

Columbus Foods Castor Oil 7# $14.70 = 2.10/lb

Oils By Nature - 8 Pounds Castor USP $16.80 = 2.10/lb
Camden Grey - 7 Pounds Castor ($16.45) = 2.35/lb
And I don't believe I said anything about the blends. I think they are fine. If that's what you wish to buy then have at it.

:? Let me reiterate.

I simply put out the information about the pre-blended oil combos. It's up to the individual whether or not they choose to buy it or not.

"I can't speak for everyone else but I like getting my money's worth and the point I was trying to make is why pay the price of 8lb when you are only getting 7lb?"

As for your comment

I don't believe I said that you said anything negative about the pre-blended combos. As for me buying the pre-blended combos, yes, it would be my decision.

You have a nice day.

Oh, OK - I guess I misunderstood this part:
lapetite66 said:
Carebear

This confuses me. Maybe I'm being obtuse, though
lapetite66 said:
"I can't speak for everyone else but I like getting my money's worth and the point I was trying to make is why pay the price of 8lb when you are only getting 7lb?"

If the items are priced per pound, or the units are given, how is it that happening?

If I chose to purchase from Camden Grey for whatever reason (cheaper shipping to my location, other items I wanted that mitigated the price difference, perceived difference in quality, or customer service, or whatever) as long as I know what I'm paying for I don't see what the problem is. Now if they DON'T provide the units I can see it being a bit murky - but they sell their oils BY THE POUND. So what am I missing here?

I love OBN, and do purchase oils from them. I pay a bit of a premium, actually, because their packaging works for me and I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

As today is essentially over, you have a spectacular evening - and day tomorrow as well - y'hear?

I don't get it either.

But! I will try to discourage people from buying pre-blended oils... that takes out a lot of the fun of making your own recipe... testing and testing and being proud of what you come up with!

sorry :oops: just my opinion

carebear said:
Oh, OK - I guess I misunderstood this part:
lapetite66 said:
Carebear

This confuses me. Maybe I'm being obtuse, though
lapetite66 said:

If the items are priced per pound, or the units are given, how is it that happening?

If I chose to purchase from Camden Grey for whatever reason (cheaper shipping to my location, other items I wanted that mitigated the price difference, perceived difference in quality, or customer service, or whatever) as long as I know what I'm paying for I don't see what the problem is. Now if they DON'T provide the units I can see it being a bit murky - but they sell their oils BY THE POUND. So what am I missing here?

I love OBN, and do purchase oils from them. I pay a bit of a premium, actually, because their packaging works for me and I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

As today is essentially over, you have a spectacular evening - and day tomorrow as well - y'hear?

Carebear:

There isn't a problem I prefer 128oz to 96oz. Yes, that might not make sense to you or others but that is just my personal preference.

Tasha I don't get it either.

But! I will try to discourage people from buying pre-blended oils... that takes out a lot of the fun of making your own recipe... testing and testing and being proud of what you come up with!

sorry :oops: just my opinion

I don't think it's my place to encourage or discourage someone from doing something...unless it's harmful. I'm of the mindset that we make our own decisions as to what is right for us or what isn't, it's all up to the individual.

I understand the fun of designing your own formula from scratch, that's great. However, for those that don't want to make their own formula they now have the option of pre-blended oils.

I intend to make my own formula. However, afterwards I will make my own pre-blended formula (from the formula I developed) for expediency's sake. :)

Latest posts

Back