I've been experimenting with trace lately

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapin

Reaction score
Hello.

First, thank you all for your expertise! You are all terrific, and I really do appreciate any advice you can give me.

When I pour my cold-process soap into the mold, a light trace is so nice. It flows right in and self-levels. A heavy trace goes into the mold more like thick pudding and requires manual leveling. My concern is regarding lye-levels and essential oils at trace. I assume that in a heavy trace, more of the lye has been used up, and as such, the essential oils I add before pouring into the mold will be more likely to have a strong, long-lasting scent. And I assume that a light trace has more lye remaining, and this might hurt the scent of my essential oils.

What do you all think? Does it matter what kind of trace it is in regard to the scent? Will my scents be ok if I pour at a light trace?

Thank you!

Trace shouldn't matter for EOs. Setting aside the fact that lye is still very much present regardless of trace level in CP, EOs don't soaponify.

I think any trace,light or thick, is too early in the game to affect fragrances or essential oils.. Not an expert tho

That lye is going to be very active for at least the next 18-24 hours, so trace will have no effect whatsoever on the EO strength.

There is a big difference(though very confusing for lots of folks) between trace and saponification. Trace is when saponification starts. Not finishes. The lye is gone when saponification finishes.

Thank you, snappyllama and TVivian. Those are good answers. I had read somewhere that lye messes with the scents of EO's throughout the curing process. Specifically, I was reading something saying you don't need as much EO in hot-process since the lye gets used up during the mixing and isn't there to harm the EO's as the soap cures. That's why I was thinking that if I can use up as much of the lye as possible during mixing, my EO's would maybe do better during curing. But it sounds like it doesn't matter. Thank you again! Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'll start pouring at a light trace, and I'll be a happier person. :)

Susie, thank you! That's a great explanation of saponification versus trace! I'm so happy that I can pour at a light trace now. It really does seem to make better-looking soap. Thanks again!

Back