Is This Normal? It's Still Mashed Potatoes!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieShephard

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making my first LS. Doing it the regular way, I guess, with water. My recipe is 67% OO and 33% CO, 1% sf. I also added .5oz of grated soap to the water before adding the lye, to help quicken trace.

Been cooking it in the crock for 3.5 hours now and it's still mashed potatoes. Never hit the thick taffy stage. Is this normal?

If you ever used your tongue to test if a 9V battery was good, then that is the exact sensation. It will not burn your tongue. I would not suggest you stick your tongue into a bottle of straight lye, but soap paste that was weighed properly will not burn you.

If you ever used your tongue to test if a 9V battery was good, then that is the exact sensation. It will not burn your tongue. I would not suggest you stick your tongue into a bottle of straight lye, but soap paste that was weighed properly will not burn you.

I did it! :-o No zap! So, I took a bit out and tested to see if it's clear when added to a bit of water...and after trying to move all those bubbles out of the way (note to self: get some rubbing alcohol and a spritzer bottle asap) it looks pretty clear to me :D

So, it's good, yes?

I guess I'll take what's in the crock out, and measure back in there some and try to dilute it...starting with a 1:1, and go from there.

Latest posts

Back