Is this lye ok for CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAJenny

Reaction score
It says 100% Lye. but just wanted to make sure this was ok for soap!

Also wanted to know if you had any suggestions on what all containers to mix soap in. I know if its metal it has to be Stainless Steel, any other things to mix in?

I'm sooo not ready to make any yet, just getting idea's and info.

Thanks!

If it's 100% sodium hydroxide it is perfect for soap.

I mix in a stainless steel pot purchased from Big Lots for under $10.00 or for smaller batches I often use a plastic mixing bowl.

Thanks!

I was wondering if you could use plastic. I didnt know if it would melt or have a reaction of any kind.

I use a stainless pot for melting butters and hard oils, then almost every batch gets mixed in plastic buckets. I have a few buckets in different sizes (ranging from 87 oz to 3.5g) and just pick whichever ones fit the batch I'm making.

Every now and then I'll mix everything right in the stainless pot, but it's wide and shallow and I much prefer the narrow deep shape of the buckets for most stuff.

GAJenny said:
Thanks!

I was wondering if you could use plastic. I didnt know if it would melt or have a reaction of any kind.
It is possible to use plastic, though I don't personally. You have to make sure you have the right kind of plastic. It must be microwave safe. I've seen people use plastic buckets (like the kind for pickles) for mixing their lye water. I don't know that I'd recommend it.

Latest posts

Back