Iodine and DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSoapyEwe

Reaction score
I know that I've read somewhere(but can't find it again for the life of me) that an iodine #of 70 or higher makes soap more prone to DOS.
Does anyone know if this is correct?

I just read that in the book "Soap and Other Obsessions". I don't have any experience in this and have some recipes over 70!

Mike just mentioned it in another thread the other day. If this is a hard and fast rule, that will make my recipe calculating a lot easier!

zeo

TheSoapyEwe said:
I know that I've read somewhere(but can't find it again for the life of me) that an iodine #of 70 or higher makes soap more prone to DOS.
Does anyone know if this is correct?

Don't know about DOS, but if you look at the learning area on SoapCalc, it states that an iodine of 70 or higher makes for a soft soap. (Just thought maybe coincidental that the number was the same, maybe that's what you were thinking of.)

All of my recipes so far are under 70 concerning the iodine.

I'm just wondering though if it REALLY makes a difference concerning DOS since it seems that humidity, temp changes, exposure to light, certain oils etc etc....seem to also be factors.

I've read a lot about DOS and about the theories behind what causes it and I hate that it seems to be a subject with no clear answer, I'm one of those "Why" people....LOL:)

Back