infused oil turned cloudy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I infused some oil with dried herbs/flowers to later use in some soaps. I made four different batches: lavender, calendula, hibiscus, and lemon verbena. I filled glass jars half-way with the dried herb/flowers and then added olive oil. I heated everything up for several hours in a water bath in a crock pot. I didn't strain the oil and have just let them sitting in the basement for a few weeks now.

The hibiscus, calendula, and lemon verbena all look fine, but the lavender oil has turned cloudy. Is this oil still usable? Is the cloudiness an indication that it is no longer good? Anyone ever have this issue?

Thanks!

On one hand, I see sometimes that olive oil can go cloudy overtime if stored in a cool place. However it is strange that only the lavender-infused one went this way. Is it cold in your basement? Was lavender totally dry when you used it? When you move infusion to a warmer place. is it still cloudy?
If it was my olive infusion I would probably smell it and even taste it to be sure its not stinky or something and if everything seems OK, I would use it for a personal soap.

We lick soaps all the time, I think it is high time to lick lavender oil for a change!:)

I would say as long as your oil doesn't have mold or smell off you could try it. I dont' infuse lavender but have infused other things with no issue.

Thanks all.

The basement is not particularly cold...besides, all the oils are right next to each other. I assume the lavender was dry - I bought it at a local shop that sells all sorts of bulk dried ingredients. Is it possible that it is just lavender "dust"?

For now, I think I'll strain it and let it continue to sit. I have no immediate plans for it, so I will just keep an eye on it and if it develops any off-smells or -flavors or visible signs of mold/rancidity I will dump it. It would be for personal use only, so if it continues to smell/taste/look OK I'll probably use it.

A few weeks ago I infused some oil with dried herbs/flowers to later use in some soaps. I made four different batches: lavender, calendula, hibiscus, and lemon verbena. I filled glass jars half-way with the dried herb/flowers and then added olive oil. I heated everything up for several hours in a water bath in a crock pot. I didn't strain the oil and have just let them sitting in the basement for a few weeks now.

The hibiscus, calendula, and lemon verbena all look fine, but the lavender oil has turned cloudy. Is this oil still usable? Is the cloudiness an indication that it is no longer good? Anyone ever have this issue?

Thanks!
The same thing happened to me. All of my other oils are clear. Lavender is the only cloudy oil. I wouldn't throw it out unless it smells bad or you see mold.

I’ve had trouble with lavender EO in soaps causing DOS. I tried over and over with the same result.
I wouldn’t use cloudy infused oil. Sorry. I’ve infused lots of things in oil and they’ve always been clear.

Latest posts

Back