Impatient and cut my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma.m

Reaction score
Impatient and cut my soap........arrrggghhh soap soft and crumbly anyway!

I got impatient and cut my soap early and its sort of soft and crumbly its only 14 hours.............I am hoping it gets firmer and isnt signs of a failed batch. Why did I do that to myself??!!!:lol:

So waiting until this evening and cut the rest, still soft and crumbly. I used cocoa butter, coconut oil and sunflower oil. I am not sure I reached trace properly, it was a very light trace when I poured, I got impatient and used a stick blender and pulsed it......it always confuses me a little re: trace. I added wheatgerm oil at trace. Will try post a pic tomorrow. Any saving tips welcome.

Last edited:
Arrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... I have no willpower!! I have found my downfall already!! :)

I don't understand this either. I've only done one batch but it looked hard after only 2 hours. I pulled it out and cut it. It was perfect. I expected it to take 24 hours. Why was it done so fast? It could be because it was 80% tallow, which i hear makes for a very hard soap.

Mr Dove, 2 hours is too soon! Indeed, tallow produces a hard soap and your soap probably gelled (which accelerated saponification), but it's a big risk to cut it after 2 hours. It may look hard on the outside but inside it may still be liquid and cutting it may become a real mess (and ruin your soap).
I usually wait for 15-18 hours before cutting it.

I don't understand this either. I've only done one batch but it looked hard after only 2 hours. I pulled it out and cut it. It was perfect. I expected it to take 24 hours. Why was it done so fast? It could be because it was 80% tallow, which i hear makes for a very hard soap.

I usely wait least 12 hours no less because it might still be in Saponification phase even if is hard, I don't like ash on my bars and I always spray with alcohol

Latest posts

Back